Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 03-05-2017, 10:21 PM

Default Any Shazzamm-ish tricks to become a better solver?

like when you have "either apple or potato was 5.July and Mother"
a beginner might be confused because theres no more clues that can help resolve the puzzle..
do you have any short-handed tips?

with looooooovesarah

just what exactly are we running from?
Old 03-06-2017, 11:42 PM

There are certainly more prolific solvers than I, but I can try to help.

Firstly, I haven't seen a clue quite like the one you mention pop up yet. Perhaps it's one I haven't encountered? But, a similar variation I do see often is "Of Apple and Potato, one is July and the other is Mother." I'll try to analyze both.

In your example, for both July and Mother, their only possible food would have to be Apple or Potato, eliminating other options of that category. Either Apple or Potato will match both July and Mother, so we know July/Mother go together. Without seeing other clues for the example, it's difficult to discern further; perhaps one clue specifies that Apple comes earlier than Cabbage(hypothetical other food), and that Potato comes later than Cabbage, which may help us narrow down which one is July.

In my example, we would still start by eliminating all food options except Apple and Potato from July and Mother, but we would also mark that July can not be Mother. We know that Apple can not be Potato, and if one of them is July and one of them is Mother, then those two can not possibly be part of the same set.

Hopefully this helps. Without having more clues to go on, it's difficult to elaborate more. Multiple clues that may not see connected at first glance can form a chain of logic to determine outcomes. If there's a particular puzzle which can be used as an example of the clue type that confuses you, post all of the clues of that puzzle and the community will likely come help you work through it.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:22 AM

[quote=clacat87;4093]like when you have "either apple or potato was 5.July and Mother"
a beginner might be confused because theres no more clues that can help resolve the puzzle..
do you have any short-handed tips?

If apple and potato are in the same catogory, one can only be paired with 5. July and the other with mother.

5.July cannot be paired with mother so X goes in that box

Then look for any other object in the mother catagory that cannot be paired with 5.July eg. brother.

the clue means that apple or potato can only be paired with 5.july or mother. If brother cannot be paired with 5.july Then Brother cannot be Apple or Potato.

Vice versa, whatever dates are excluded for mother (except 5.July). these dates cannot be Apple or potato either.

hope that makes sense.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 AM

There is a great tutorial here: http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...gic-puzzle.php, and it covers most of the techniques that you will need for the puzzles on this site.

Many have asked how to do the puzzles quickly, and there have been many great answers in the forum. There are even youtube videos of solvers doing these puzzle with lightning speed. Amazing to watch.

As other posters have said, if you get stuck, post the grid and clues here, and sooner or later someone will help you.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 PM

Any links to the "speed" solvers? I have a hard time believing every puzzle just Happens to have a fastest time of thirty seconds and that the same 2-3 people all happen to hold all the records on all the different puzzles... with exactly 30 seconds.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:38 PM

@JoshuaR
Each puzzle size has a specific minimum cut-off time below which the records are not shown. (30s is, I think, a minimum for 3x4 and that is a loooong time to do a 3x4). The best solvers can do the minimum OR BETTER and that's why you are seeing the minimums on a lot of puzzles. The other issue is that the first person to establish the minimum will remain as the record-holder no matter how many others do the same or better time. Finally, the reason you are seeing the same names is that those players do an insane amount of puzzles (see top-100 all-time point scorers), and, therefore, are a) faster than others, b) have more chances to set the records since they end up eventually doing the same puzzle multiple times, and c) are in position to set records on new puzzles immediately after they come out.

FWIW, I've been doing a lot of 4x5s in the past few days and set 5 new records (71s, 74s, 84s, 95s, & 110s) and matched 2 records (72s twice). The minimum for a 4x5 is 70s and there are quite a lot of those.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:44 AM

If this helps at all, I've found that you only need to fully complete the top set of boxes to figure out if you got it correct. I try to minimize the number of clicks by only using the lower boxes when I know I have a correct answer.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamakota View Post
@JoshuaR
Each puzzle size has a specific minimum cut-off time below which the records are not shown. (30s is, I think, a minimum for 3x4 and that is a loooong time to do a 3x4). The best solvers can do the minimum OR BETTER and that's why you are seeing the minimums on a lot of puzzles. The other issue is that the first person to establish the minimum will remain as the record-holder no matter how many others do the same or better time. Finally, the reason you are seeing the same names is that those players do an insane amount of puzzles (see top-100 all-time point scorers), and, therefore, are a) faster than others, b) have more chances to set the records since they end up eventually doing the same puzzle multiple times, and c) are in position to set records on new puzzles immediately after they come out.

FWIW, I've been doing a lot of 4x5s in the past few days and set 5 new records (71s, 74s, 84s, 95s, & 110s) and matched 2 records (72s twice). The minimum for a 4x5 is 70s and there are quite a lot of those.
That makes more sense. It seemed awful fishy that everyone had the same exact times. That said, it probably takes me 15 seconds just to read the clues, so hats off to sub 30s solvers. I would be curious to see those videos, though, maybe to learn why I am so slow.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 AM

Default Agree

I can't even read the puzzles in some of the times people are solving them. Need to get some tips from the pros, here.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 AM

There are also some people who do enough puzzles that they begin to recognize and remember them -- recently I solved one puzzle, started a new one, and realized it was actually the exact same puzzle, just with a different story attached (so, the categories were different, but the layout of the correct answer was the same, and the clues were the same except for substituting in the new categories). I didn't remember the previous puzzle well enough that it gave me much of a boost on my time, but it definitely made me think about what an advantage it could be to do a LOT of puzzles and pay attention to the structures. If you recognize "ah, this is the one where clue #5 gives you these two connections" AND can remember that puzzle well enough to reconstruct some or all of the other correct answers, that could certainly save you some time -- I think that's part of the secret of some of the very fast solvers.

Tags
#tips #helps #hacks