Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Other Logic Puzles > Logic Puzzles and Brain Benders

Old 11-16-2016, 06:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jollysunflora
Default Need help with this logic puzzle...

There can't be any repeats in names or colors, in either column or row. Also, what's already there can't be changed. This has been driving me nuts for months now...
Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 PM

You need to be clearer.
When you say
What's already there can't be changed
The grid is full. If you can't change it, how can you solve it? Do you mean the colored cells?
How do the names correspond with the 'jobs?'
What do the cells with an * after the name mean?

We don't know what to move or rearrange from your description.
~M

Last edited by MadOzbo; 11-16-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 AM

I'll take a wild guess at the constraints. There are twelve rows and columns, and there are twelve colors. I'll assume that a color can only appear once in any given row or column. I'll also assume that each of the twelve "tokens" (e.g. mary, jordan) must be assigned a color, and they must be paired with each of the twelve colors.

The white cells are the ones that need a color assignment, and when all the remaining white cells have been assigned a color and the above constraints are still true, the puzzle is solved.

Or something like that.

The first thing I see is that the Blood column needs a light blue like jordan in the Breath column. There are four candidate rows.

The light blue cannot go in the Maid, Rogue, or Thief rows because there is already a light blue in those rows in the Mind (mary), Breath (jordan), and Life (kiddo) columns.

That means that the light blue can only go in the Heir row, and that means mage will be light blue.

There were only two places where mage could be Red (like mary in the Doom column). The Heir/Blood intersection was one of those places.

By assigning light blue to mage in the Heir/Blood intersection, it only leaves the Heart/Maid intersection. Everywhere else, either mage already has a color, or there is a Red color in the same row or column.

So mage must be Red in the Heart/Maid intersection.

I'll stop here to see if I guessed correctly at the constraints and if I got the first two moves right.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 AM

Thats right! Sorry I wasn't clear before I'm not used to describing logic puzzles yet.. Also you mean the medium blue right? Cause theres aqua blue, medium blue and royal blue...lol

Last edited by jollysunflora; 11-17-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM

OK then continuing on the theme using the constraints I described ..

The Blood column can be finished by 1) assigning red (like Doom/mary) to lou, 2) pink (like Void/mary) to witch, and 3) dark blue (like Life/mary) to monk.

So now the entire Blood column is finished. I'm not sure this is leading to a solution, but by assigning the four remaining colors in the Blood column like we did, the other cells are much more constrained.

Would you like a few more assignments (if I can find them)? (check dark blue and mage).

Last edited by zenobia43; 11-17-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:24 AM

That would be great, yeah.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure that the constraints I've guessed at combined with the initial grid state has a solution.

With the Blood column filled in, Thief is assigned dark blue in the Doom column.

This quickly leads to a conflict with the dark blue color in the Hope, Rage, and Void columns with bard and catherine.

The Hope column needs a dark blue.

It cannot be monk because dark blue has already been assigned to monk in the Blood column.

It cannot be kate because thief already has dark blue in that row over in the Doom column.

It cannot be lou and witch in the lower rows because dark blue has been assigned to jordan and mary in those rows in the Space and Life columns.

So, in the Hope column, that leaves bard and catherine. If catherine is assigned dark blue, that causes a problem in the Rage column, and if bard is assigned dark clue, that causes a problem in the Void column.

So I missed something.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:30 AM

That, or I made an error somewhere. I checked and can't find any repeats, so here. I edited the chart a bit so there'd be more options.
If it's too hard to read just act as if all the oranges but Mary and Jordan were white

Last edited by jollysunflora; 11-18-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM

Assuming the constraints mentioned earlier, I removed the orange assignments except for Mary and Jordan and tried to find an assignment for each color separately rather than trying to complete the color assignments for a particular character.

That is, I tried to complete the red color assignment across all the characters rather than complete the color assignment for Catherine.

I found a couple valid assignments for red.
20161129-RedSolution1.png
20161129-RedSolution2.png

I also found valid assignments for dark green, medium blue, purple, and two for orange.

Here is one of the orange solutions:
20161129-OrangeSolution1.png

For each color, I started with the initial conditions given in your post and removed the oranges except for Mary and Jordan.

There weren't any valid assignments for dark blue or pink. I believe any complete solution would have to contain a valid assignment for both colors, so that means there is no solution for the given initial state of the grid.

Or at least that what it looks like on this end.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 AM

I don't think square grids with an even number of columns and rows can meet the three constraints. Try constructing a grid with two characters and two colors.

I got rid of the witch character and the pale pink color to reduce the 12x12 grid to 11x11.

In order to meet the constraints, it is easier if the colors and characters all have a rigid relationship to each other. I constructed a very patterned grid of colors and characters first.

20161130-11x11-Patterned.png

Hopefully, this patterned start meets the constraints, but don't bet a lot on it. My eyes are crossing, so it might be messed up.

If I can assume that the starting point is valid, then since I can shuffle entire rows and columns without invalidating the grid, I aligned the aqua cells with your starting point.

Then I added the labels for the rows which seemed to have some magic relationship to the aqua cells.

20161130-11x11-Aligned.png

Can you find duplicated colors or characters in any row or column? Can you find any character that has a duplicated color assignment?

Last edited by zenobia43; 11-30-2016 at 06:51 AM.