Old 12-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Monthly Score Challenge

Just curious...what games do most of you play if trying to rake up monthly score challenge points? See several avg between 500 and 700+, so I suppose the easy 5x7 (think that is the highest size, don't remember). From what I can tell you don't get any more points per board size if difficulty is increased.

I can stay in very fast range on the smallest 3 or 4 board sizes on easy..vf to fast on moderate...challenging is still, well a challenge (can solve but not always fast).
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmderden View Post
From what I can tell you don't get any more points per board size if difficulty is increased.
In February 2014, admin said that the points would be changed in March (presumably the same year) so that the more challenging puzzles would yield more points. But it was never done.

We should probably keep bumping that post, at least until we get a reply from Admin about whether this is still in the works or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmderden View Post
Just curious...what games do most of you play if trying to rake up monthly score challenge points?
As you've noticed, solving the easy puzzles is almost always the best way to go. Which size puzzle is probably different for every person.

When I first started playing, I struggled to even get half as many points on a puzzle as the number of seconds that I spent. 3x4 and 3x5 were probably my best sizes for getting the most points per hour. After just a month of practice, 4x4 puzzles became the best return for me. A year later, 4x5 puzzles had edged out 4x4, and years later, they are still the best.

I'm good enough at 4x6 easy puzzles that I can solve them almost as fast as people who get records, but not quite. When I'm playing for points (like trying to stay in the top 100 all-time hall of fame), 4x5 is still the best way to get points for me.

For other players (probably people who are faster than me), 4x6 and 4x7 can be the best return for points per hour.

I'm about to make a controversial statement. I'm sure a lot of people disagree with it, but here it goes:

If you can't get records occasionally on the size of puzzle you are playing, then you can probably get more points per hour by going down a size.

Note, this rule of thumb is only for getting the most points per hour. If you are playing just for fun, then please just ignore points and play whichever gives you the most enjoyment.

Personally, I find the "easy" puzzles boring, and more frequently choose the moderate and challenging options, even though they are terrible for racking up points.

Also, I can't get better at 4x6 and 4x7 puzzles without playing them some times, so I do that also -- and my points per hour aren't terrible when I do. But when I start a stopwatch, and play one type of puzzle straight for an hour, I still get slightly more points on 4x5 easy than any other type, and that also is about the largest puzzle that I can get records on.

Last edited by uigrad; 12-05-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Tags
fast, monthly, points, score, trophy