Old 04-07-2018, 07:42 PM

Question Lights out kind of puzzle (need help)

So the puzzle is about turning on all the lights. There are nine lights in a diamond shaped formation and only one light is currently on. It looks like this:

///////////1
////////2-----3
/////4-----5-----6
////////7-----8
///////////9

Let's say nr 1 is the only light turned on and the rest are in a off-state.

In order to turn on / off the lights you have to press buttons which corresponds to the numbers above.

If you press a corner button (1, 6, 9, 4) four lights in a diamond shape will turn on / off according to their current state (Example: If you press button nr 6, then 6, 8, 5, 3 would turn on / off).

If you press a button on the edge (3, 8, 7, 2) six lights in a diagonal rectangle shape would turn on / off (Example: If you press button nr 7, then 7, 4, 2, 5, 8, 9 would turn on / off, if you press 8, then 8, 9, 7, 5, 3, 6 would turn on / off).

If you press the middle button nr 5, then you reverse the current state of all the lights.

Keep in mind that all the lights react individually.

I hope this makes somewhat sense and that someone here can solve it, I would really like to figure this out!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:25 AM

From how I understood your description of the problem and what I can think up, you'd be able to turn on all the lights by pressing 7->8->9. If you need all the lights off you'd obviously just press 5 after this sequence to change the state of all the lights to off.

I hope this helps and that I understood it correctly!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
From how I understood your description of the problem and what I can think up, you'd be able to turn on all the lights by pressing 7->8->9. If you need all the lights off you'd obviously just press 5 after this sequence to change the state of all the lights to off.

I hope this helps and that I understood it correctly!
Yes! This is exactly how it would be solved! Thank you

Tags
diamond, lights, lights out, lights puzzle