Old 07-06-2017, 07:08 AM

Default New here

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and I'm really stumped on this logic puzzle. I've been assigned this puzzle for my summer school class (for extra credit) and I don't know where to start. I've never done a logic puzzle before and it's really making my head hurt. Any assistance that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 AM

There's a tutorial on this website, but it's hard to find. Here's a direct link:

http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...gic-puzzle.php

The owner of this website also made a couple tutorial videos, but they show the old interface. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxfZwvaQ-k

Or, just start solving puzzles. When you get stuck, click on the "get hint". There's no limit on how many hints you use. They affect your score, but don't worry about score, just get so that you can solve the puzzles on your own.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Thank you.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 AM

If you have never solved a logic puzzle before, start with the 3x4 Easy puzzles. With only three categories and only four options in each category, the logic chains are relatively short - and after a while - obvious.

The larger puzzles allow for more convoluted logic chains and make it easier for the puzzle creator to hide the next step.

The Easy category puzzles only require a few solving techniques. The Challenging category requires more advanced techniques. So stay with the Easy category until you want to explore the more advanced techniques.

The puzzles on this site always have a logical deduction to get to the next step, and every puzzle has one and only one solution. This is pointed out on the site's home page along with some other very basic information.

If you see a clue that says something like: "A is less than B." Then A and B cannot be in the same row.

If you see a clue that says something like: "A is either B or C," then B cannot be in the same row as C.

If you see a clue that says something like: "Of A and B, one is C, and the other is D," then A and B cannot be in the same row, and C and D cannot be in the same row. If A is in the same row as C, then B must be in the same row as D. Similarly, if A is in the same row as D, then B must be in the same row as C.

If you see a clue that says something like: "A, B, C, and D are all different things," then A, B, C, and D all have to be in different rows.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM

... and to be sure, when the puzzle says "Neither A nor B is C"... C cannot be A or B, that's obvious. Less so perhaps, A is not B.

http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...ther-nor-clues #5

I agree with what Uigrad said... take the time to go through the excellent tutorial once, don't worry if you don't immediately understand and memorize it all... then play! The hints system is also excellent.