Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uigrad View Post
I decided I wanted to be in the top 10 one month (June 2014). So, I timed myself on each type of puzzle. I spent 10+ minutes on each type of easy puzzle (3x4 easy, 3x5 easy, etc), and calculated which one gave me the best ratio.

I discovered that my best ratio was 4x4 easy puzzles. Getting 5 points per second I spend solving was possible in rare occasions, but for me 5:1 was not achievable long-term. I was able to maintain a 2:1 ratio pretty easily (ie. spending 110 seconds solving a puzzle that gives me 220 points out of 290), and sometimes approached a 3:1 ratio (ie. spending 85 seconds solving a puzzle that gives me 255 points out of 290).

So, in that month, I worked my butt off. I did solve a few at work, but most of my solving time was evenings and weekends. I scored 480010 points that month (I think I was aiming for 480000 exactly, but overshot a little). Assuming a 2:1 ratio of points to seconds, I spent 66.66 hours that month. Since there are 30 days days in June, that works out to 2.22 hours per day. Not bad for getting 6th place that month!

I'm much faster at solving these puzzles now than I was then, but it's harder to get the same number of points now, because the records on the puzzles are better. Also, there are a lot more players now, so getting the same number of points (480010) wouldn't even get me in the top 10 this month!

Basically, nothing about the top solvers of the month surprises me. I know that it would be a ton of work to get in the top 10 again, but I could do it, if I really cared enough. The top few solvers each month put in far more time than I could ever imagine myself spending on these puzzles, but the world is big, and it doesn't surprise me that there are few people who spend nearly every waking moment playing, and I'm sure that they are faster than me also.

I don't know about you, but my first experiences on the internet (1990's) taught me that you don't ever go on a forum site and ridicule others about how much time they spend on the site. It's just a way to get everyone to hate you. You may get a few people to take your side, but what do you accomplish? An internet war? Those things haven't been cool since the days of Usenet (30+ years ago now).
Wow. Sounds like my "get a life" comment touched a nerve with you, LMFAO!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansPitie View Post
Wow. Sounds like my "get a life" comment touched a nerve with you, LMFAO!
Nope, no not at all. If I was truly offended, I wouldn't have taken the time to write a thoughtful response.

It was more that I thought your question was good, but that little bit at the end ruined what was otherwise a good post. I just felt sad for you, because it sounded like you weren't enjoying the site as much as the rest of us.