Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 AM

Oh, and one other thing (no wall this time, promise):

I suggest increasing grid size first, not difficulty settings. Once you master the pattern of an easy puzzle, the same rules tend to apply. Once you get good at 4x7 easy, add the few new rules for moderate, then add the few more for challenging. Trying to master all 3 clue sets at once is like trying to learn piano, guitar and drums. Same music, different technique.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelthecosmos View Post
Do you want to conquer the puzzles and understand why each choice has been made? Do you want to go fast? Do you want massive points on the leaderboard? Believe it or not, these goals are mostly mutually exclusive, and the reason, strangely, has its roots in database design!
Yes, to the first option. I'm not really a competitive person, I don't really care about the time. But I would like to be able to solve within relatively normal parameters. I don't even read quickly enough to solve the 3x4 challenging puzzles in less than a minute, but it irritates me when I can't figure something out and it takes me 20 minutes. And I get really annoyed when I have to get a hint, and then have trouble seeing the relationships even with the hint.

Quote:
I don't want to wreck this thread with too much of a wall, so I'll try to be brief. If your goal is fast times, you have to eliminate all the fluff and concentrate on only what matters. The left side of the top row is the primary key of the puzzle. It will ALWAYS be scalable (meaning a fixed numerical interval between options), and every single math clue will relate to the primary key. Before you do anything else, take note of the primary key and interval. You'll be mostly ignoring the lower squares, because you'll be mostly translating every data point into the primary key.
This is useful information. It's been a good ten years since I designed a database, and I don't think I'd have made this connection without it being pointed out.

Quote:
The point is this: the puzzles look to be quite varied, but there are actually only about 30 rules to memorize (even for the challenging puzzles). Figure them out, memorize them, and learn the best order for you, and these things start to look all the same after a thousand or so attempts. A word of warning, though: once all the tricks are automatic, the joy of figuring out a logic puzzle WILL BE replaced by the joy of adding 900 points to your score. You won't be able to get it back, because all you'll ever see after that point is the matrix.
I realized this about the rules after going through the extensive tutorial section (which should really have a link under the FAQ). My memory is like a sieve, but with repetition I know I'll finally pick this up. I expect it will take several months if not a year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAW7 View Post

(2) Though the clues are designed to standalone, when certain ones are put together, they give an exclusion or two. On this strategy you really have to put the clues together and extract ideas.
These are the clues that are most difficult for me. This is why I print out the screen when I have to get a hint for these clues. I then re-write the hint in relation to the clues so it makes sense to me. Then when I see a similar clue in a puzzle I'm having trouble with, I go back to my printouts and find a puzzle where the clue is similar and try to apply the hints to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAW7 View Post

For example flipping clues around, Kay is 7 older than the blue house. This is the the same as the blue house is 7 younger than Kay. This is helpful for plugging in values. For example, anything explicitly stated as 14 older than blue, I can safely say is not Kay.
This I have to do a lot, re-writing the clues in my head as to which options are less/more. It was my first epiphany when trying to do the moderately challenging puzzles.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I really like doing these kinds of puzzles, I'm hitting 50 years old this year, and would like to keep my mind sharp for as long as I can.