Old 10-21-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Question about a type of question

I have noticed that different puzzle authors handle this type of clue differently and would like to know how this site does it.

Example: Roger was taller then the person with the surname barnes (who didn't have a dog)

Some puzzles then say neither Roger nor Barnes have a dog, others say this only means Barnes doesn't have a dog.

Or: Kevin was late the day before Jerry (who isn't surnamed Denver)
Does this mean neither one is Denver or only Jerry?

In these puzzles please tell me which is it. Thank you!

Last edited by Vzburns; 10-21-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:58 PM

None of the puzzles here have clues like that. If I were to transcribe your clues to the clues you can find here, there would be 2 separate clues.

So... "Roger was taller then the person with the surname barnes (who didn't have a dog)" would be...

1. Roger is taller than the person with the surname Barnes.
2. Neither Roger nor the person with the surname Barnes has a dog. (Which means Roger, Barnes, and the Dog are all separate entities)

If I were to just interpret that, however, not as a logic puzzle clue... I'd just interpret it as Roger being taller than the person with the surname Barnes and Barnes not having a dog. So it won't mean that Roger doesn't have a dog.

Last edited by Shinigami99; 10-21-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzburns View Post
I have noticed that different puzzle authors handle this type of clue differently and would like to know how this site does it.

Example: Roger was taller then the person with the surname barnes (who didn't have a dog)

Some puzzles then say neither Roger nor Barnes have a dog, others say this only means Barnes doesn't have a dog.

Or: Kevin was late the day before Jerry (who isn't surnamed Denver)
Does this mean neither one is Denver or only Jerry?

In these puzzles please tell me which is it. Thank you!

Shinigami99 thank you for the answer but just to clarify the second example (surnamed Denver) was a direct quote of a clue on the puzzle I was working on here. So puzzles here do have clues like that, that is why I asked the question here. But thanks again for the answer, i appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:51 PM

Oh, my apologies then. I never encountered that kind of hint (maybe it depends on the size of the grid). Well, I won't make guesses on what it means. I'll leave the answer to someone who actually knows.