Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Weight-loss Puzzles

I would like to see the weight loss puzzles replaced with a different narrative. While most of the other narratives are fairly neutral, this one can have a negative effect on people struggling with body image and eating disorders.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who always feels weird about them. I've had some problems with disordered eating in the past and those puzzles always throw me just a little.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Agreed. Always makes me reach for the chocolate biscuits.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Yes, I also dislike those ones for the same reason. I don't mind the ones talking about calories in meals, though.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:31 AM

I had never thought of this before, but this is a great suggestion. I fully support it.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Default If we're putting it to a vote,

I would like to see the puzzles that describe losing weight by combining diet and exercise remain as they are. The clues and backstory seem to me to be as neutral as any of the other puzzles, as they do not make any evaluations (positive or negative) about health, fitness, or aesthetics as they may relate to weight or weight loss.
Although, for the record, I do happen to think that about half of the diets referenced are mostly fad.
Also for the record, I am not attempting to suggest that the previous posters are wrong, merely that I disagree with their opinions regarding the interpretation of the puzzle theme. No disrespect is intended by offering my own, differing, opinion.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 AM

I appreciate you framing your disagreement so kindly. The puzzles don't personally bother me either. However, I can certainly understand why they would bother people who had struggled with eating disorders (and it's not really about their vs. your "interpretation" of them, but the different impact they might have on them vs. you). Since there's hardly an overwhelming upside to keeping them, it seems to me like an easy and reasonable request to grant.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:29 PM

I agree with fromalabama that this is a legitimate theme for a puzzle.

I do understand (to some extent) the reaction that people have to fat-shaming, but this puzzle seems to be far away from any dangerous waters. Even if you think that "body image" is not an acceptable reason for pursuing weight loss, you have to admit that there are many people out there that should lose weight for health reasons. If the puzzle offends you, just imagine that all the characters in the story have just been told by their doctors that they need to lose weight for medical reasons. This is a fairly common occurrence, so it's pretty much what I always assume when I see this puzzle.

The fad diets are interesting choices. I think this is on purpose. It's kind of silly to imagine a group of friends trying to lose weight using all these different fad diets, especially since some of them are not designed for weight loss, and I'm pretty sure that this is kind of the point. We could argue about which diets are legitimate, but I don't see how that's a good discussion. No matter what, I guarantee that we would never be able to agree on a list. Keeping the choices somewhat silly is probably the best approach.

In the same vein, some people may argue that weightlifting is not an ideal choice for losing weight. Anecdotally, I can tell you that when I began powerlifting (something I highly recommend), I lost inches on my waist, but my weight stayed constant. So, should I be outraged because the characters in the story are using pounds lost as their measure of success instead of something else? No, it's just fictional a story, and I'm not that petty!

I'm still far more outraged about the juggling clubs in one puzzle being called "bowling pins", haha.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 AM

Your response is very strange. No one said they were offended by them, and no one talked about more acceptable vs. less acceptable reasons for weight loss - those are straw-man arguments (which is a bit amusing to see on a logic site!).

They said (effectively) that they were potentially triggering for people with body image and disordered eating issues. That's eminently reasonable, and there's plenty of scientific support for the concept, although it seems you're not at all familiar with these issues.

It just seems very strange to me that anyone would feel such a stake in keeping them. Why not agree to a polite request from your co-players that would cause you no damage at all?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:35 PM

Change them to height-loss puzzles.
Just one letter. Easy fix.