Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Default Help Me Understand this Hint

Hi,

I'm trying to improve my deductive reasoning skills, but unfortunately I often find that the hints provided on puzzles do not help me understand WHY to mark a certain cell False or True.

In this screenshot, for example, Hint 5 apparently rules out an answer. But I fail to understand why it rules that answer out. Is anyone able to help me "see" why?

https://screenshots.firefox.com/o5Tu...ic-puzzles.org
Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 PM

This is a common inference based on clues of the type "Of A and B, one is C and the other is D."
So based on your screenshot, I'm guessing Clue 5 read something like:
"Of Zachary and the person from Old Station, one is 111 years old and the other lives in Rhode Island."
Once you have that clue, these are the steps you should follow:
1. Mark the intersection of Zachary and Old Station as FALSE.
2. Similarly, mark the intersection of 111 and Rhode Island as FALSE.
3. In the box where Zachary and Old Station intersect, imagine a "cross", so the column of Zachary and the row of Old Station, and if there are any boxes marked FALSE, these are also FALSE for 111 and Rhode Island.
4. Similarly, in the box where 111 and Rhode Island intersect, imagine a "cross", so the column of Rhode Island and the row of 111, and if there are any boxes marked FALSE, then these are FALSE for Zachary and Old Station.
(5.) You can extend the "cross" into the adjacent groups, by looking at the Zachary column in the [states] group and the Old Station row in the [states] group and any shared FALSE boxes can also be marked FALSE for 111 and Rhode Island.
(6.) Similarly, you can check the 111 row and Rhode Island column in the [hometowns] group and mark any shared FALSE boxes for Zachary and Old Station.
(7.) You can extend the "cross" even further, by looking at the columns of Zachary and Old Station in the [ages] group. If they share any FALSE boxes, then these can also be marked FALSE for 111 and Rhode Island.
(8.) Similarly, if the rows of 111 and Rhode Island in the [names] group have any FALSE boxes in common, then these boxes can be marked FALSE for Zachary and Old Station.

So, based on that, you've done Steps 1 and 2. And the hint you're getting is based on Step 3.
At Step 3, you can see that at the intersection of Zachary and Old Station, Jackson is also marked false. Therefore, Jackson is also false for 111 years, and also for Rhode Island.
Going further, at Step 4, doing the evaluation for the other pair, you can mark 109 and Missouri as false for both Zachary and Old Station.
Step 5 and 7 don't yield any new clues.
Step 6, Kirkville is false for both 111 and Rhode Island, so that's also FALSE for Zachary (it's naturally false for Old Station because it and Kirkville are in the same group, i.e. [hometowns]).
Step 8 doesn't yield any new clues.

Tl;dr: If something is neither A nor B, then it is not C or D either. (Check the intersection of A and B, any box marked false in that "cross" is also false for C and D; you can extend the "cross" even further, but this usually isn't essential to solving the puzzle.)

Hope that helps!

Last edited by kiryen; 07-08-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 PM

I guess the clue is something like this: "Of Zachary and Old Station, one is 111 years and one is in Rhode Island."

So possible cases are:
1. Zachary = 111 years, Old Station = Rhode Island.
2. Zachary = Rhode Island, Old Station = 111 years.

This means that something that isn't equivalent to Zachary nor Old Station cannot be equivalent to Rhode Island nor 111 years.

Now, in your situation, Zachary already has an X for Jackson. Since Old Station is under the same classification as Jackson, Old Station cannot be equivalent to Jackson. This means that Jackson cannot be in Rhode Island and it cannot be 111 years.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Thank you both so much for the help!