Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Default So, can we pause?

I'm confused, it seems that in past posts, there was something being done to allow us to be able to pause, undo, and also choose difficulty? I have not found the place where this is available... has this been set up yet?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 AM

Arrow

I am a new player and was wondering the same thing. I often have to get up in the middle of a game so it takes me 12 hours to finish one, haha. Also, I have cleared at least one board and started over because I couldnt remember the last two or three things I clicked and could have just "backed up".
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Default Yikes!

I can so relate to that. Twice today I've been interrupted and forgot I was in the middle of a puzzle. Once for an hour and just now for almost two hours. There probably is no fair way to enable a pause feature, but it sure is frustrating to come back and find it was a puzzle that could have been completed in 2 minutes.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 AM

The problem with pausing is that it makes it easy to cheat. The clues can be obtained from the page's source code as soon as the page is loaded (before you click on the "Clues" tab, before you can even see the page being displayed by your browser). At any point after that the ability to pause would allow any player to pause and solve the puzzle at his or her leisure, then un-pause and fill in the answers. The only way could fairly implement a pause would be to remove the incentive to cheat with a non-competitive mode. Of course, that would also remove the need to pause.

The bottom line is, the only conditions that make a pause feature plausible also make it obsolete, therefore to implement a pause feature would be illogical.

Last edited by bgates87; 07-03-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Other timed games do this

On other games you can pause with a timer, the game just disappears from the screen so you can't "cheat" and figure out answers. Then when you take pause off, the game reappears and the timer continues. Not sure why this game cannot do that.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighe View Post
On other games you can pause with a timer, the game just disappears from the screen so you can't "cheat" and figure out answers. Then when you take pause off, the game reappears and the timer continues. Not sure why this game cannot do that.
To get around that all you would have to do is take a screenshot of the puzzle or print it out first, then you could pause the game, solve it at your leisure, then unpause and fill the answers in.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 AM

I understand the whole pause thing, but what if there was an abort option. I work 3rd shift and play online here during my shift. Most of the time there is nobody around but every once in a while somebody will come around and need something and I am gone for over an hour. An ABORT option would be great for times like that.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM

I agree with this - at least an abort for the timer, so that the abandoned game doesn't count against your score...?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Nothing can really be done as far as that goes because people could just abort puzzles that they were doing poorly in which would compromise the competition portion of the site.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:54 AM

Default recent games

Well, I know you can pull up your most recent games as long as it hasn't been over 24 hours. So that way you can't cheat on a paused game.