Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alethea View Post
Yes, and I have no problem with "their" in those cases. It's just when the gender is already specified (like in the example I gave above) that it sounds bad.
It has to do with how the puzzles and clues are set up, as they're not related to the specific names (which could be randomized). The only puzzles that say "his" or "her" are ones where they are all the same gender. So in the mixed ones it has to be "their" because they need to say the same thing for all of them.
..I just tried typing out an explanation but it was getting complicated. Basically the computer doesn't know if the name is male or female and just uses the given pronoun "their" unless the given one is "her" because someone entered all female names and chose that pronoun to be the option.

If uh, that makes sense.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM

That's what I supposed as well. It may be a lot of trouble to proofread and correct for each clue, so I can understand not bothering. Last night I had a clue that said, "Doug brought their horseshoe." I just had to grit my teeth and be grateful for the easy green dot!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 AM

Depending on how they make the puzzles it might not even BE possible to go through each puzzle! It could all be randomly generated every time for all I know.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 AM

That is a great point!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to JAK3DAWG

"!Guess or guess!" Makes me think that they have no idea what they are even doing in these puzzles so they're saying they either guessed or guessed. That's just my educated guess... You don't have to take my answer, but I spent a while sitting here and that's what popped into my head. "1 wrong/1 right" Could either mean they went for a 1:1 ratio or they couldn't figure it out after their first one right. Again... Just an educated guess. If it is annoying you, since I am new here, I will have to recommend that you check the setting for disabling view of other people's comments, or, if it is yours... Block comments on your puzzle. I don't know if you can do either of those, but that is what happens on many forums so I think it might be the same here. I love puzzles, I don't wanna have to pay for them so I came here. You're welcome in advance if this helped, if this didn't, then I am all out of guesses. I personally think that people shouldn't comment if they are going to be so abstract about it... It's a puzzle site to complete posted puzzles, not to post comments and confuse everyone. Anyways, I appreciate any comments I get anywhere, at least they took their time to say a magical something... (If it is productive) If it's not productive, I ignore them, but not everyone can and I understand. Just don't respond to them if they annoyed you. It's the internet. You have a magical power called "block" on most sites. My time on the most recent one was about 10 minutes and 38 seconds. May everyone be well, peaceful and happy.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Thanks.

No though, I don't mind the comments, I appreciate them being there, I just want to know the translation. I was thinking the same thing with the 1guess part, I just wan't sure.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahFFX View Post
Just a comment on their. It's actually not uncommon to see "their" used in logic problems as a singular non-gender pronoun. It is equivalent to saying "his or her" when the gender is unknown (and that is listed in some dictionary definitions). Putting a gendered pronoun (her or his) could lead to clues that let us eliminate all the male or female sounding names because "The 3rd person had peppermint for her first scoop."
So then the names you provide are Chris, Pat, Terry, Tyler, Fran and Sam.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM

That's quite a few dual-gendered names.