Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Default what does the star mean?

Got a star next to my time but it was marked average so I'm confused
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM

It means that you have set a new record for time - congratulations!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

When you plot on a graph, you usually have some symbol to indicate the point, often just a dot. I assume the star you are referring to is the star on the graph, next to your score when you finished a game. I don't know what pixel of the star is the "hot spot", which determines placement of the star on the graph. You would think the Center of the star or perhaps the tip of the top point of the star, but either of those seem slightly to the right of where I would expect it on the graph. I think it always uses a star on the plot.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM

You did mean a star next to your time for a puzzle and not a star on the bell curve, didn't you?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alethea View Post
It means that you have set a new record for time - congratulations!
Alethea is correct. The reason you showed up in the middle of the bell curve, (as much as I have it figured), is because there needs to be an initial time range set up for the purpose of points scoring. Eventually, this scoring range becomes a product of the average time it takes people to solve the specific puzzle. However, in the beginning, there isn't any data for average times, so the range must be set initially and manually.

So your time was the best, (probably because you were the first to solve the puzzle), but you didn't get maximum points because you weren't at the top of the initial scoring curve.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Very nicely explained, Kgun5!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM

I agree that this is what he/she experienced. Here's a screenshot of another example:

http://imgur.com/bStVTLO

My guess is that until a puzzle has been solved 'n' times, then the 5 hash marks of the graph correspond with real numbers from other players. If it hasn't been solved 'n' times, then some kind of defaults are used for the hash marks on the graph.

I have no idea what 'n' would be.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:41 PM

I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for that (could be something new). Back in the "early days" (two months ago) of the new puzzles, when it was easier to set records, because the puzzles hadn't been played by that many people, I set the lowest time a number of times, but there was no star next to my "Your Time:" in the Puzzle's Statistics (three examples attached) (410 was/is? the maximum score on 4x5 Easy)....
Attached Images
File Type: png StarOrNoStar.png (187.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Passel,

I believe this would be a case, as outlined by uigrad, where the threshold of "n" attempts had not yet been met. Your score was enough to earn maximum points with respect to the initial scale, but others were already faster than you.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Actually, the images by passel3 are different than mine. Mine shows stars in the table on the left and ovelayed on the chart, where as the ones from Passel only shows the star on the chart.

I'll admit, I don't completely know the significance of the star in the chart. My screenshot is from today. Maybe his/hers is from a different day.