Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Administrator

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=426
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 AM

well as you know that some posts were missing due to spam.i am doing mostly 4x7 easy/moderate puzzles nowadays.due to some server problems sometimes i am not able to submit solutions for as long as 8 to 10 hours which has affected my overall average.otherwise i too enjoy doing the challenging ones only.congratulations stanstar on improving your average.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiagardezis View Post
stanstar as uigrad has explained some clues the puzzle becomes easier.hesperia can only be 12.5 or 18.5 hence it can't be in 1956 or 60.as for 1944 and 1948 it can't be velma because she is not from tomales.so she is in 1952. mabel hit sometime after tomales she cannot be before 1956.according to your grid you have established the only two possible cities that can be in 1944 and 1948.you can cross out the rest of the cities from there.this really does save time even if you dont know the exact year of respective cities.as there can only be two storms in the upper two years and one of them is freda you can cancel out all other names of storms that cannot be in tomales from upper two rows.likewise with years or whatever puzzle that you are doing.i hope that i was able to get my point across i am not very good at explaining.
Many thanks Sagiagardezis for your instruction. I followed it through and got some positives and a number of negatives more than I had originally.

Stan

Last edited by stanstar; 02-20-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM

I seem to be improving very slowly. I think it has something to do with age. I think I have done about 450 puzzles in total. I visited this site over a year ago after doing maybe 50 puzzles. I returned here in December last and have done maybe 400 more. I notice in the top 100 players quite a few have done less puzzles than I have. I am guessing, but I think those players are young. I have played competitive chess for many years and I know for a fact that after the age of 40 or thereabouts there is not much improvement. I mean to say that in other sports footballers for example certainly DO NOT improve their skills after 30 years old. In chess for example the most rapid learners are children up to age 17 ish. I used to coach a boy of 5 years until he was 14. When he was 13 I could beat him 50 out of 50 games. Six months later he got a draw and I won 49. Six months later he won 36 and I 14. Six months later he won all 50. In the chess olympiad a few years ago he beat (check mated) DeFirmian the American Champion Grandmaster. Google Karadeniz v De Firmian and play the game.
The only elder person I can see in the top 10 is reilysnana who must be around at least 40 and most probably with a very high IQ. I think there is little hope I could make it to the top 100.

Stan
Old 02-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Default High IQ

I am guessing here again, but I think the top players here have very high IQ's. What does anyone else think?

Stan
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 AM

My record now for a 4x5 challenge 11.75 mins

Stan
Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Good job Stan!

I'm by no means the fastest person here, but one thing I have found that shaves time is to do the specific lesser/greater clues first.

For example: A is X amount less than B or C is X amount greater D. That helps me eliminate some relationships early on. (I only use that tip if it offers an exact amount though, not just A is less than B). After that, I do the 5 people are, and then go on from there to try and solve the puzzle.

I hope I made sense, but I feel like I didn't!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:06 AM

i am really happy for you.you are good at chess it means you're iq level is quite high.i believe skills can be improved at any age .all one needs is patience and will .no matter what challenge i face i believe that i can will be able to do it one day if i try harder and i do try harder.my family says i am simply being stubborn
Old 03-05-2014, 03:14 AM

My record for challenge type 4x5 is now 9.16 minutes. Maybe it was an easy one? I don't know but nicyo did a record of 2.81 mins.

Stan

Sadiagardezzis maybe you are right.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Good FOR U STAN. i HAD SAME PROBLEM TOO BUT CONTINUE TO IMPROVE MY TIME. I TOO AM AMAZED HOW FAST SOME PEOPLE ARE. JUST READING THRU CLUES TAKES ME THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME!! I JUST WORK ON SETTING PERSONAL RECORDS. I WAS NEVER INTERESTED IN TIME WHEN I FIRST FOUND THE WEBSITE. JUST DID PUZZLES FOR FUN BUT NOW I ENJOY TRYING TO BEAT MY TIMES OR GET HI POINT VALUES.