Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM

thank you stanstar.i try to fill in the upper boxes only.i avoid lower grid no matter how stuck i am because it is very time consuming.plus i remove all the positive clues or the clues that i am done with asap.trust me age has nothing to do with it.when i started i used to take a long long time.however with practice i am better now.i am sure you are going to get better.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Default top rows only

I have tried filling in the top boxes only.I cannot see how it helps. The last time I tried it most of the clues only appertained to the lower boxes. The top rows were completely empty. If you have a clue about the lower boxes and ignore that, how do you put any x's or green spots in the top boxes?.

Stan
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Ok sadiagardezis here is one I tried following your advice.
I could only mark 22 x's on top. I didn't mark any of the positive clues down i.e. Audrey = 16.9 million and Freda = 12.5million. I post the state of affairs I had on the top boxes.With only these 22 x's to go on can you show me the process you use only using the top big boxes please?

here are the clues 1.*Neither the storm that made landfall at Tomales nor the storm that hit in 1956 was Hurricane Velma.
2.*The storm that caused $17.4 million in damage hit 12 years after the hurricane that made landfall at Alta Vista.
3.*Hurricane Velma didn't strike in 1960.
4.*The hurricane that made landfall at Tomales hit sometime before Hurricane Mabel.
5.*The hurricane that made landfall at Tomales hit 4 years before the storm that caused $18.5 million in damage.
6.*Hurricane Audrey caused $16.9 million in damage.
7.*The hurricane that made landfall at Hesperia was either the storm that caused $18.5 million in damage or Hurricane Freda.
8.*Of the storm that hit in 1948 and the storm that hit in 1944, one hit land at Tomales and the other caused $12.5 million in damage.
9.*The storm that hit in 1956 didn't make landfall at Rockford.
10.*Hurricane Gwendolyn didn't cause exactly $13.1 million in damage.
11.*Hurricane Freda caused $12.5 million in damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lp003.JPG (69.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by stanstar; 02-18-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Stan, his hint (which is very good) is for easy puzzles. No one bothers with the moderate or challenging puzzles, because they aren't as good for scoring. If I do moderate or challenging puzzles, I know that I'll need the whole grid, and don't even bother trying to stay in the top portion.

I try very hard to stay in the top section, but it's not a hard and fast rule. If a puzzle is a difficult one, I end up using the whole grid, but I can usually solve easy ones with just a few marks in the bottom part.

Generally, I start by marking the clues that can be entirely represented in the grid. Even if they aren't in the top section, I do them completely so that I can make them go away. After that, I begin working in the top section as much as possible, and only go down to the lower sections if I get stuck.

I took an easy 4x4 puzzle, and solved it, taking screenshots throughout. It ended up being a bit easier than average, so I stayed almost exclusively in the top section. I made a tutorial, and placed it here:

http://imgur.com/a/OL2LX

With a puzzle like this, I can usually be within 20-30 seconds of the record time, and occasionally, I can even score a new record! Hope that helps!

EDIT: In your puzzle, look at clue #7. The columns for Freda and $18.5M both have X's in the lowest two rows. So you can mark X's for Hesperia also. Now, after you have that, you know the city for 1956!

Also, clues like your #6 and #11 are so good that I would mark them immediately, even though they aren't in the top section.

Last edited by uigrad; 02-18-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 PM

stanstar as uigrad has explained some clues the puzzle becomes easier.hesperia can only be 12.5 or 18.5 hence it can't be in 1956 or 60.as for 1944 and 1948 it can't be velma because she is not from tomales.so she is in 1952. mabel hit sometime after tomales she cannot be before 1956.according to your grid you have established the only two possible cities that can be in 1944 and 1948.you can cross out the rest of the cities from there.this really does save time even if you dont know the exact year of respective cities.as there can only be two storms in the upper two years and one of them is freda you can cancel out all other names of storms that cannot be in tomales from upper two rows.likewise with years or whatever puzzle that you are doing.i hope that i was able to get my point across i am not very good at explaining.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Wink Thanks Uigrad

Thank you Uigrad, I watched your tutorial it is good. I would get too bored doing easy ones. I much prefer the 4x5 Challenge types. At least when I solve one I get a buzz which I like. I'm not here after all to aquire trophies, I am here for fun. I get it too! With the help of some of the the top 100 players here, like yourself, Sadiagardezis, Zenobia43, Alethia, pcuser and all, I have great fun. Mind you these puzzles are a wee bit addictive aren't they?
It will be interesting to read sadiagardesiz's reply.

Stan
Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Default my first time in average!

My first time made average of 15.8 min for a 4x5 challenge. Niki of course did it record time of 4 minutes! Watch out zenobia43 I am getting faster!

Stan
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Yes -- this game is ssssooooo addicting!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM

There seems to be posts missing. I have two missing and sadiagardexis has one. Where have they gone admin?

Stan
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 PM

I wondered the same thing. They are listed in the sidebar, but they don't appear here.

EDIT: Hit reload and they appeared! Congrats on your new best time!

I've come close to getting a record on a 4x6 now... that's been my goal for a while. My time was 252s, and the record was 242!

Last edited by uigrad; 02-19-2014 at 06:38 PM.