Old 03-15-2014, 04:48 PM

Default problem with hint

I Find this hint hard to understand. Can anyone help please?

HINT: Clue #5 says prosciutto is 2 steps greater than Zachary. This places Billie and prosciutto both at specifically different distances from provolone in relation to prices. This means Billie cannot be equal to prosciutto. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE. (+120 sec. penalty)

Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lp22.JPG (112.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM

From your grid you already know that provolone equals Zachary.

Clue #5 says prosciutto is 2 steps greater than Zachary
Clue #9 says Billie is 1 step greater than provolone (and Zachary).

So if prosciutto costs 2 dollars more than Zachary's sandwich and Billie's sandwich costs 1 dollar more than Zachary's sandwich, prosciutto cannot equal Billie.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM

So here's what we know.
From clue 5: Prosciutto is 2 steps above Zachary
From clue 9: Billie is 1 step above Provolone
From grid: Zachary had provolone

Since Zachary had provolone, provolone must also be 2 steps bellow prosciutto. But we know Billie is one step above provolone. This puts Billie in between provolone and prosciutto. Since Billie's sandwich and the one with prosciutto don't cost the same, Billie didn't get prosciutto.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 PM

Since Provolone = Zachary you can reword the clues like so:

5. The sandwich with prosciutto costs 2 dollars more than the sandwich with provolone cheese.
9. Billie's sandwich costs 1 dollar more than the sandwich with provolone cheese.

So because prosciutto is 2 more, and Billie is 1 more, Billie cannot be prosciutto (without suffering a paradox).
If Provolone = Zachary, the two are interchangeable in clues, so all "Provolone" clues could say "Zachary" instead, and vice versa. Which can help a lot sometimes.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Default re: Problem with Hint

If Billy WERE equal to prosciutto, then Billy and prosciutto would have to be the same distance from provolone in relation to price. That is why Billy cannot equal prosciutto.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM

It seems you have issues with pretty much the same offset type relationship, since it seems like you've asked this same sort of question quite often, which I find puzzling.
On your diagram you show that Zachary goes with provolone, so any clue that has to do with Zachary also applies to provolone, so substitute provolone where ever Zachary is mentioned.
Clue # 5 says prosciutto is 2 steps greater than provolone.
Clue #9 says Billie is 1 step greater than provolone.
So Billie cannot be prosciutto.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 PM

Hi Passel, as soon as I posted it, it vanished into Puzzle Baron land. In case you haven't heard, the site is now monitored because of spam problems. This means that if you want to quickly edit a post and say anything about it sometimes takes a week for your next post to appear. As I could not stop this thread, I thought what the heck, maybe some beginners will fin the experienced peoples explanation helpful, which I am certain that it will be. As for the "type" of questions I ask for help on: I am in no doubt these type of hints are the ones that are top grade, in that these clues are by far the most difficult to get grips with. The most experienced of solvers will agree with me I am sure. They are NOT readable looking at the grid as in almost all cases it looks like A could be a certain position in steps and the other B could be in the same position.
I hope this explains my reasons.

Stan