Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Default The amazing times

I am amazed at how fast some good members here are at solving these puzzles. I am now 67 and although I don't race the clock, I do notice how long it takes me to solve the 5x4 challenge puzzles. Usually around 20-30 minutes. I used to do these puzzles 40 yrs ago and my daughter used to have a go too when she was about 15 or so, and she was good as me. I was worried that as time has gone by I may have developed some kind of brain damage over the years. To check this out with a mere mortal, I asked my daughter to try a 5x4 challenging one to compare how my old brain was working. She took more than two hours in solving the one that came up first. She is an MA and a clever young woman. So whilst I'm not so worried now I was wondering if all the best solvers use the same technique.

Stan
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM

I'm fairly amazed by the top times. I'm not even sure how people can simply cross off the base clues in the record times, much less completely solve them. I got a solution on my first 4x5 challenging one in about 20 minutes, but I also discovered yet another elimination method I never thought of before. Part of the speed some people have I think is having a good collection of mental "tricks" in your bag for solving.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Don't worry the times are easily cheated.
If you first find the solution to the puzzle by playing through normally then all you have to do is record what goes where and hit start over and then refill it out then BAM! A new fastest time
Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Start Over Button

I don't think the start over button erases all the time you've spent up to that point. The clock keeps ticking. So the really fast times can't be a matter of learning the answers, recording them, and pressing start over. (And I can't really see why anyone would want to do that anyway.) I can't imagine a way to cheat on these puzzles and get the 100% solve rate and super fast times that I've seen. Maybe I'm naive, but I have to believe that the people who are doing this are just extremely intelligent and I might add, agile, to work that quickly and never accidentally click the wrong cell. I'm 61, have been playing logic puzzles for years, and I am very impressed.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Sometimes getting a penalty for a wrong click can be much more efficient timewise than figuring out the logic behind an answer. I have gotten many records but most come from making a very hasty educated guess early in the puzzle and moving on from there. It depends on your goal: beat the clock or beat the logic.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 AM

I had all the same thoughts and questions when I first joined. In my experience, it's just a matter of practice and doing lots of puzzles to get faster. I used to always be in the "very slow" part of the curve, but now I'm at the other end on a much more regular basis with several time records of my own.