Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Default A problem with hint

The hint was not accurate here. Maurice is 1 step behind Neil, Basketball is one step behind Computer and Alex is 1 step behind Derek. So how do you get that Maurice is at the same exact step from two different items in the same category?

HINT: There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place computer and Maurice both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means computer cannot be equal to Maurice. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE. (+120 sec. penalty)

Stan

PS having bother with attachment

Last edited by stanstar; 01-14-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: failed attachment of grid
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Hi Stan -

Can you give me the puzzle # for this puzzle, as shown via your Recent Games page?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 PM

Yes it was #923132

Thanks for the promptness of your help

Stan
Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Administrator

The hint was referring to these two clues:

- Maurice's package cost 1 dollar more than Neil's package.

- The package with the basketball in it cost 1 dollar less than the package with the computer in it.

What happened was that there was a relationship already on the grid either with Neil or with the basketball (or with both) that was used in developing the hint you received. So for example (this isn't from the puzzle, just a random example for elucidation), if you had Neil = baseball on the grid, those two clues would be saying that Maurice was $1 more than the baseball, and the computer was $1 more than the basketball. Since baseball and basketball are in the same category, and Maurice and the computer were both $1 more than each of them, Maurice couldn't be equal to the computer.

Our hint system doesn't always go into explicit detail on how each of the relationships on the grid interact with the clues - there's only so much room for an explanatory hint on the page. But that's the crux of what was happening here - the hint was correct, it was just taking another true relationship from the grid into account (like Neil = baseball) when formulating the hint text.

That said, we may be able to improve that in a future upgrade so that it can provide more explicit detail.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Thank you Sir.

I understand now.

PS Please don't get me wrong here, I love this site!

Stan
Old 01-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Default Thanks to Admin

Indeed Sir, I found that as Maurice was one step more than Neil who incidentally was = to Fruit basket was also an item in the same category as Computer. So therefore the clue was correct. I didn't realise that even if it doesn't refer to that fact it implies it. The more advanced members must also know that is the case too.

Stan