Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Success rate errors

Have completed all the puzzles successfully so far but suddenly success rate has dropped from 100% for no reason. There are no puzzles showing available to retry....

Had this same problem on the old site last week and despite several messages being sent, got neither an answer or even an acknowledgement. So frustrating and disappointing....
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Success rate errors

Just checked again and under "my scores" it says I have completed 17 out of 18 puzzles correctly and gives a success rate of 94%...which is wrong.

No puzzles available to retry under "recent games" as they were all completed successfully.

Under "high scores" though it says I'm on 100% which is correct.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Hi onlyonesue -

The "success rate problem" is unfortunately one of those issues that I've not yet been able to lick. I'm still working on it though.

It should be less of a sticking point with the new site, as we no longer run a success rate competition - the only monthly competition now is by total score alone.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 PM

That's disappointing. I was hoping for more inclusion rather than less. The points scored algorithm seems quite unbalanced still - too much of a slope on the bigger puzzles.

Disappointment aside, I really like the bigger puzzles even though the competition aspect of this site has ended.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 AM
Administrator

The scoring is going to be constantly tweaked over the next 1-2 weeks, based on real-time solve data. (The max scores for 4x6 and 4x7 were increased significantly yesterday afternoon.)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM

I'm sure that will improve the validity of the scores, though big-picture-wise, I don't like my score to completely reflect the games I tried.

For example, in October, I tried only 4x5s and finished 21st in speed, but had a good points-per-game average. In November, I tried only 4x4s and finished 7th in speed, but had a terrible points-per-game average. Neither "award" was terribly interesting - my skills are somewhere in the middle.

If I were czar, and inappropriately could direct development (obviously, you do all the work and I'm only mentioning this in the spirit of what I think would be nicest for me, me, me), I would have leaderboards for each type of puzzle and difficulty (just speed and totals) and only have one total-points board combining the different types of puzzles. I'd also expand the record-keeping so that we'd always know what our monthly places were, even if we didn't receive an award.

You have to worry about monetization, too, and there are plenty of people here who don't care at all about speed or points.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

All good suggestions. The problem with speed contests, even by puzzle size, is that anyone competing for speed would more than likely never choose any difficulty level other than "Easy". That wouldn't necessarily be very sporting. So then we'd have to break it down further into puzzle-size and difficulty, which would then set up 18 different speed contests per month. That isn't undoable, per se, but it certainly complicates things - especially when you consider 20 trophies awarded per contest, and that's 360 new trophies per month. It can really get out of hand.

I'm definitely not ruling it out though - I think it would be a lot of fun to have different competitive niches that people could choose to play for each month.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM

I hope you do that. It would add a lot to the feel - I enjoy competition. And give me incentive to go after those harder puzzles.

Regardless, you've done a great job here.

One display thing - in the vertical category titles in the grid, on Firefox 25.0.1, it appears that (I'm seeing it especially with consonant-vowel combos leading the title), the capital letter kerning is too small.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM

I would like it if you gave the opportunity to throw out the worst score for the month. I had a computer glitch that kept me hung up in a game for a long time and I eventually had to close it out unsolved. That put a big ding in my score
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Wink

That's an excellent idea about throwing one out. That's happened to me many times... However, if total points are the most important thing, it doesn't matter.