Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Is this worth looking at?
Yes 3 37.50%
No 4 50.00%
Don't know/Don't care 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Default Bonus Points?

It just crossed my mind as I finished a 3X4 puzzle in 40 seconds that I likely could have solved in 35 seconds if I had used the lower part of the grid, maybe point levels could be tied not just to time but also portion of lower grid section(s) used.

What do you think? Should this be something the site should add if they can get the system right?

Basically the opposite of the penalties from errors removed and incorrect submits.

Last edited by jeffnn; 11-16-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:47 PM

I don't think that sort of system should be added. People solve these puzzles in different ways. Who are we to say that one method is better than another or that it deserves bonus points?
Old 11-17-2016, 05:19 AM

Not to mention that some puzzles require the use of the lower grid(s) to solve them, due to the way the clues are set.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 AM

A while back, the admin said that moderate and challenging puzzles would be worth more than the easy puzzles. That still hasn't been done.

I'd say that giving points that reflect the difficulty of the puzzle is a far more pressing concern than giving bonuses or penalties for solving the puzzle one way or another.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uigrad View Post
A while back, the admin said that moderate and challenging puzzles would be worth more than the easy puzzles. That still hasn't been done.
Really? That seems like common sense. I just assumed that was the way it worked all along.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:32 AM

well, in a way they are worth more points - the points per minute you can earn is higher for the easy puzzles than the moderate and challenging puzzles. you get the same amount of max points at both levels, but you can probably do 2 or 3 easy in the time that it takes to get 1 challenging done. so, 2-3x more points.

.bri.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:23 PM

You're saying that doing the easy puzzles gets you more points per hour, which is exactly what I was saying. That wasn't the intention. The intention was that the maximum number of points you could earn per puzzle would depend on both the size and difficulty, and then you could earn your points efficiently using any size or difficulty.

I actually have more fun doing the moderate puzzles, but if I want a trophy for a given month, I just stick with easy. I can make far more points per hour that way. So, I have to decide each month whether I'm playing for fun (moderate level) or for points (easy level).

I found the post where Admin said that he was working on doing this. At the time, he was just waiting on a little more data from the users. I would like to know if that is still all he is waiting on:

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/s...=1857#post1857

I've already bumped that post once. Maybe someone else could bump it?