Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 AM

Default Puzzle Help

Hi,

Please help me with the following puzzle. Somehow I managed to get the answer but, I don't understand from where or how to start this kind of puzzles. Here, we don't have any definite information. How can we proceed with this kind of puzzles ?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the link to puzzle.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:42 AM

I tried doing this puzzle with a grid, but that didn't help much.

I got the following solution after assuming that the Mango was the other yellow fruit:

7 - R - Pomegranate
6 - U - Orange
5 - Q - Banana
4 - T - Guava
3 - V - Apple
2 - P - Plum
1 - S - Mango

After discovering the Q-T-Apple and R-U sequences, it was a matter of trying each candidate position for the pair. The three clues that told how many boxes were between two options were the most troublesome, but after placing the above sequences in a candidate position, usually the order of the two options in the "boxes between" clue was forced.

The P-Mango, V-Plum, and V NOT Guava were the clues that usually resulted in a conflict that invalidated the candidate location.

If anyone finds a way to solve this with logic at every step like the puzzles on this site, please share.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Default We cannot do this type puzzles on grid

Yes, zenobia, we cannot do this type of puzzles on grid because we don't have definite information.

Quote:
If anyone finds a way to solve this with logic at every step like the puzzles on this site, please share.
That is what I am looking for. If anyone knows some standard rules like we have in grid puzzles please share them.

Let me walk you through how I solved the puzzle.

Started with the Clue "more than 2 boxes above Guava". (For all other clues we get more possible cases.)

Since, above Guava there must be more than 2 places, so I choose Guava on 4th(Case-I) place and 3rd (case-II) place .

But, in Case-II when Guava is in 3rd place. We arise with two sub cases again in one case we cannot place R and in another case we get a conflict with R and mango. So, we can invalidate Case-II.

Now, we can Simply go with Case-I. Here also we get two sub cases where one can be eliminated via V-mango clue. Left with only one case.

7----------R
6----------U
5-
4-Guava-
3-
2-
1-Mango-

We can arrange QT only in 5,6th positions. And, we can do remaining easily.

Tags
puzzle, puzzles