Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Doing Logic Puzzles for more than 12 hours per day!

I'm looking at the high scores, and I'm stunned by how much solving is going on by the top competitors. One particular solver has completed 745 of 752 games with an average solve time of 601.3 seconds.

Lets do the math:
752 games at 601.3 seconds per game is 452177.6 seconds.
Assume 10 seconds between games to navigate the pages between solves
752 * 10 = 7520
452177.6 + 7520 = 459697.6
There are 3600 seconds in an hour
459697.6 / 3600 = 127.693777...
Today is the 10th day of the month
127.69 / 10 = 12.769
Part of the hour
0.769 * 60 = about 46 minutes

This player is solving logic puzzles, on average, for 12 hours and 46 minutes every day. That's dedication to the genre. I'll assume some sort of medical condition is involved and wish them the very best.

Last edited by BillsBayou; 09-10-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: verbiage
Old 09-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Remember - if you leave a puzzle mid-solve and come back and finish it 12 or 24 hours later, the timer keeps going during the interval. So its not unusual for someone to have a 40,000-70,000 second solve time on a single puzzle, which will then wreak havoc upon your average solve time.

(Just checked the stats, and that does appear to be what's happened in this specific instance...)
Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 PM

I'd say it takes some dedication to do the math to determine how long someone is solving puzzles I'll assume someone's a bit jealous that they haven't made it to the high score board
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Also, realize that if you frequently press the "Clear Errors" button (as I do), then if you've made any mistakes, it greatly impacts your time. It adds 120 seconds per error.

Since stats include a percentage of completed puzzles, a lot of solvers (myself included for a while) will still finish and submit a puzzle, even if a lot of errors were removed. Even if just 15 errors are removed (not that unusual for a big puzzle, if you get a little off), that adds 30 minutes to your time. If that happens a number of times, it's not hard at all to get over 12 hours per day.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 AM

Ok, throw in the penalties and you're play time goes up. But still, look at the number of puzzles. That's more than 75 puzzles per day. That is some serious play time.

Jealous of not having my name on the leader board? Sure. I'll concede that was what lead me to the analysis of play. I play a few games per day and my stats SUCK. I just wanted to see how I measured up and what would it take to get my name up there. So I did the math. 75 games per day is about 70 games more than I'm willing to put in. So I congratulate those of you on the board. I've enjoyed logic puzzles for more than 30 years and this is a great site. I see that we've got more puzzles on the site as well (since I'm not figuring out the cook time of mac and cheese as often as I was before).

Carry on.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 AM

Ah jealousy. That's what keeps people playing.

What I did was pick one month to go heavy on puzzles. I managed to make it into the top 10. I got my trophy, and was done. My wife was very glad when that month ended.

I still do puzzles as breaks sometimes, but I don't have any ambitions to be in the top 10 again.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uigrad View Post
I got my trophy, and was done.
Same here... I just wanted to see if I could get one, and I was fine with the Top 20. It's really hard work and time consuming and not much fun if you "have" to do it all the time. I didn't solve any puzzles for two or three months afterwards, and now I am back to doing it just for fun whenever I feel like it, some days more, some days less. Much less stressful this way
Old 09-11-2014, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
not much fun if you "have" to do it all the time
That's where I am as well. At one point a few years ago I think I was up in that 10-hour a day rank, which wreaked havoc on my personal life. But at different points in there I did come in at number 1 or the top 3 in total scores, solve times and solve percentages. It definitely becomes a pressure having to keep that up. Since the new site has gone up all those scores have been obliterated.

However, I'm happy at this point solving for one or two hours a day and enjoying it. And I definitely sit in awe of the top players (cerine, zenobia, 5hread, aliciacoral, serenia--just to name a few) who come in with those incredibly fast solve times and still maintain a 100% solve rate or close. I tip my hat to you all. No matter how much I might solve, I don't think I could ever get close to those average time and average points scores.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 PM

XD not everyone has a life