Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 AM

Angry Ad invasion

I started a new game, and while I was reading the clues, an ad poped up and displaced y puzzle. what is happening?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 AM

Thumbs down

Wow, never seen that before! Can you get your puzzle back in Recent Games?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:09 AM

I would worry more that it's the sign of some sort of virus on your computer. If not, most browsers allow you to block popups, though that sort of ad is relatively rare on legit sites like this one.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Ad Invasion Example

I haven't had it happen before, but just today while I was in puzzle longer than usual because I thought I had found an example of a "multiple solution" puzzle and was doing screen captures to post the puzzle, at one point I was marking X's in the puzzle when suddenly this survey appeared in the puzzle area. I didn't want to click on the survey and I couldn't see how to close it, so I ended up hitting the Refresh page, which gave me the puzzle back, but all cleared. If you look at the URL, there is "&clear=true" at the end, so perhaps if I had removed that, I could have gotten the puzzle back with out it being cleared.
This is a work computer, so I don't have an option of upgrading or installing a different browser. This happens to be IE8. As it is a work computer, firewall, and virus protection is in full force, so I do think it is a "legititmate" ad.

Of course the puzzle itself wasn't multi-solution. After going through it for the eighth time doing screen shots of the "possible different solutions", I found a simple X off that I had missed every previous pass through the clues, and with that one in place, the proper solution was quickly resolved.

p.s. Happened again, Dec. 2nd, after my first X on the first puzzle of the month.
Attached Images
File Type: png AdInvasion.png (65.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by passel3; 12-02-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Janie55
Default Pop Up "Ads

I noticed in a few puzzles I was doing, that after I had cleared the grid to restart the game, some words in the clues were highlighted in blue. If my mouse rested on one of the highlighted words, a pop up ad comes up. It blocks the clues from view. I tried closing it with the x on the ad to no avail. If I click on the pop up it will bring me to some website.
If I try to clear the grid again, the puzzle comes up with no entries, but the ad was still showing. I had to start a new game to remove it.
As a newbie somewhat to logic puzzles, I do have to clear the grid a few times before I solve it and that is usually when it happens. Never got it on the new puzzles. Very annoying whatever it is.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Hi Janie -

The sort of "in-text" links you're describing are something we absolutely don't use on this site - if they are appearing for you, it is most likely as a result of some sort of adware/spyware that is attached to your browser. You may want to run an anti-spyware program to detect and remove this (I usually recommend "Malware Bytes", which is free).