Old 11-22-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Stuck... definitely an expert kind of logic

Ugh. This is really starting to bother me. I've been messing with clues 3, 6, and 9 and this is still all I can come up with. I know I'm just one step away from filling in the whole thing. It all comes down to figuring out whether Thursday is Devon or Jaxson.

Once I have that, I have pretty much the whole thing. any help (and the logic behind it!) would be appreciated. I've tried combining the clues, but since Thursday isn't paired with a consistent category, it isn't working. :-/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stuck.JPG (107.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM

Asia and Art have no days in common, so Asia cannot be Art.

From clue 1, Valentina is Tues or Woodshop, and Woodshop cannot be Monday, so Valentina cannot be Monday. And then it follows that Valentina cannot be Bugling.

The grid now shows Monday and Thursday are either Devon or Jaxson, so you can exclude Devon and Jaxson from all other days, putting x's in Devon-Tues, Devon-Wed, Devon-Fri, Jaxson-Tues, Jaxson-Wed, and Jaxson-Fri.

Then, looking to the right, you see that neither Devon nor Jaxson have any days in common with Geology, so neither of them can be Geology.

Then from clue 3, Home Economics is Devon or Orienteering. Both those exclude Tuesday and Friday, so Home Ec cannot be on Tuesday or Friday.

Home Ec now shares no days with, and so cannot be, Canoeing.

From clue 9, Jaxson is Thursday or Geology, and Geology excludes Monday, which means Jaxson cannot be Monday, leaving only Thursday for Jaxson.
Devon is Monday. Jaxson is Thursday.

Clue 3 now dictates that Devon is Home Ec and that Orienteering is Thursday.

Now from clue 9, we see that Art is Geology, and they must both be on Friday.

Now Dorian share no days with, so cannot be Canoeing, etc. I think the puzzle solution should follow without too much difficulty from there...

I'm doing this on my cell phone with no pad or paper so that's about as much as I can keep track of in my head. Good luck!

Last edited by bocci; 11-23-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM

I didn't have quite as many Xs on my grid as your screenshot when I found the missing piece. My solution is all about realizing what is not on Monday.

#9 Neither Thursday nor geology is Monday, so X for Jaxson+Monday, X for Jaxon+bugling
#1 Neither woodshop nor Tuesday is Monday, so X for Valentina+Monday, X for Valentina+bugling, which means found Devon+Monday, found Devon+bugling, more Xs for those
#3 found Devon+home economics, found Thursday+orienteering, more Xs for those
#7 found art+Friday
#9 Thursday is not art, so found Thursday+Jaxson, found geology+art+Friday, found canoeing+Tuesday, found pottery+Wednesday, found Asia+Tuesday
#1 now that we know canoeing+Tuesday, found Valentina+woodshop+Wednesday, found Dorian+Friday, found science+Tuesday, found math+Thursday, done.