Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 AM

Angry Really annoying ads

While I know that selling ad space on webpages is importantn, and keeps this wonderful site free for us users, I must complain. In the ad boxes tonight has been playing the Microsoft Small Business Summit. Complete with talking. It's completely annoying, frustrating, and driving me crazy! I often listen to music or podcasts while doing these puzzles, and I can't hear the thing I am trying to listen to over the ad. So, if you have to have something in the ad space that has sound, can there PLEASE be an off switch for the sound??????
Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hi flutefish -

Ads with non-user-initiated sound shouldn't be running - if you see this again if you could possibly take a screenshot so I can properly identify the ad it would be a big help. I've run through my networks today and see a few microsoft ads, but I've previewed them each individually just now and (1) none of them have sound and (2) none of them say "Small Business Summit". I did see one that said "Small Business Assurance" - could that be it? But again, there was no sound on the version I saw.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM

If I see it again, I'll try to get a screen shot. It was basically a live broadcast of the Small Business Summit, complete with the word live in the upper right hand corner.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM

I see the ads are getting more aggressive. Hope that means you are being rewarded enough to continue this site.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Default Talking ad

I just got a talking ad. There was imvu in the upper left corner. The character was saying something like "Hi. My name is Amber. What's your name?" There was an animated character. It also had written "chat for free" & "create your character in3d"
I turned my sound off, so I only heard the spiel twice. Also, I don't click on ads like that (especially while doing a timed puzzle) so I don't have any more info.

Suggestion: to increase the chance of us responding to an ad, show it after the puzzle, when there is no clock running.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Hi folks -

Again I apologize for this - no non-user initiated audio ads should be appearing ANYWHERE on the site. I've put in some emails to my ad agencies today to track down the source of this ad and remove it asap. Unfortunately I've loaded the playing screen at least a hundred times today and have yet to see it myself so its hard to say where its coming from at this point.

Again if you are ever able to take a screenshot of the ad and either post it here or email it to me, that's the best way to nail down the source. Even better if you can have your mouse cursor over the ad while you take the screenshot, often that will make the url of the ad appear in your browser's status box.

Thanks again for your patience -

Stephen
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Ad again

The same ad showed up on the Hall of Fame page, so I clicked on it. Hope this will help:
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_land...?p=vc3&c=grey1
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutefish View Post
If I see it again, I'll try to get a screen shot. It was basically a live broadcast of the Small Business Summit, complete with the word live in the upper right hand corner.
This showed up one night and kept playing during the game, so I turned down the volume. I haven't seen it since then. It was probably before this thread started.