Old 06-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Thursday's Broken Ladder

Here's one that's kicking my butt. First, the blank, if you don't want to read some of the spoilers below:

Logic-Wine1.gif

Now to my bottleneck:

Logic-Wine2.gif

I've managed to get three steps of the ladder in one box. In the upper right box, I know that the Sea Bass is a dollar more than the Beef Stir Fry and two dollars more than the Osso Bucco. Because of this two dollar stagger, one of the two dishes must be $26.99. This was my last big reveal. Since then, nothing.

I cannot seem to find my way past this part. I've backed the ladder around to see if I can place more than one run of the price ladder in any of the other boxes on the top row (name or wine), but I cannot.

Any clues?

Here's my notes on the price ladders:
Joanna/SeaBass >(by $1) Hanna/BeefStirFry
Joanna/Seabass >(by $2) OssoBucco/Bordeaux
Clara >(by $1) Shiraz

Joanna and Clara are both greater than something by $1. Thus, the things they are greater than, BeefStirFry and Shiraz, cannot be equal. Since Hanna is BeefStirFry, she cannot have Shiraz.

I've tried crowding the price ladders into the upper left box, Price/Name, but I cannot get them to force any single conclusion, either positive or negative.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM

One thing I see missing is an x at the intersection of Clara and Shiraz, from clue 9. Doesn't help much right now, but it might later.

I'm having trouble getting quite as far as you did. I'm almost there, but I can't figure out how you decided OssoBucco = Bordeaux.

Last edited by shriekingviolet; 06-06-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM

THAT DID IT! All solved. Thanks!

Man, I hate when I miss that one. The bottom left grid is the one I tend to overlook the most.

Not that it matter now, I'd like to figure out how I did that OssoBucco = Bordeaux thing, myself.

Edit: That equality comes late, but quite easily if you X the Clara/Shiraz relationship. If you can't solve it from that point, post your puzzle and I'll help you out.

Edit 2: I figured out how I came up with the OssoBucco = Bordeaux relationship in the absence of the Clara/Shiraz exclusion:
Clue 3: Sea Bass is not Bordeaux
Clue 8: Citrus Chicken not Bordeaux
Clues 1, 3, 6 combined: Bordeaux is not Beef Stir Fry
By this point you should have a complementary exclusion set between Clara/Price and Bordeaux/Price. This means that Clara cannot be Bordeaux.
Clue 4, Second Half: Neither Clara Nor Port can be Bordeaux, thus, Neither Red Snapper nor $25.99 can be Bordeaux
And there you go, Osso Bucco = Bordeaux

If you don't see the complementary exclusion set I mentioned, then I had something else going that you didn't see.

Doesn't matter anyway, you saved the puzzle by pointing out my error. Thanks again!

Last edited by BillsBayou; 06-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Got it! I think you got there from clue 4 - Red Snapper was either Port, or whatever Clara had, which was Chianti or Riesling. So that eliminated Bordeaux (and later Shiraz) from the Red Snapper line, which left Osso Bucco for Bordeaux, and everything opened up after that.