Old 08-24-2008, 04:05 AM

Default Post-puzzle stats

It would be nice to see some more stats after you've finished a puzzle to let you know how you've done, like the success rate, average time to complete, and the number of times the puzzle has been played. I know voting on the difficulty rating it tells you how many votes have been counted, but you don't have to vote so that's not necessarily an accurate measure of how many people have played the puzzle.

Also, maybe you shouldn't show the puzzle's difficulty rating until after a person has voted on it so that what previous people have voted doesn't affect new votes.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Recent Games List

Another good feature would be a recent games list, like there is on the cryptograms site. That way, if the game score doesn't go through due to some software or internet glitch, we can go back to the game and maintain our success rates. This has sometimes been an issue on the cryptograms site, and will probably eventually become an issue here as well.

I agree that I would like to see the game stats after completing the puzzles.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Puzzle-specific statistics are now displayed before and after each puzzle is solved. You'll now get a view into each puzzle's solve rate as well as average and record solving times. If you beat the record time, you'll see a little message saying "New Record!" next to your score.

Note that puzzle statistics shown after you solve a puzzle are the statistics before you solved it. There is always a bit of confusion when someone gets a new record time and sees another player with a worse time listed as "Record time". That is the previous record time, to show you how much you've beaten it by.

If you notice any weird behavior with the puzzle stats please let me know. Stats will not yet display for a handful of puzzles - they will only display after a puzzle has been solved a certain number of times, otherwise the stats are relatively pointless.

Cheers -

Stephen
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Default stats

Thanks, Stephen! Love having the stats available.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Weird behavior

This Puzzle's Statistics
Success Rate: 50%
Average Time: 966.4 seconds
Record Time: 348 seconds (flutefish)
Your Time: 686 seconds New record!

Puzzle Solution
Orders First Names Penpals Wines
first Jayden Comoran chablis
third Camila Mongolian port
sixth Melina Ghanaian burgundy
seventh Annika Italian champagne
ninth Kameron Saudi Arabian zinfandel

Stephen,

I put the puzzle solution up here, as well as the stats I got. This puzzle said I held the previous record on this puzzle, but that my significantly slower time was the new record.

--Flutefish
Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Whoops - sorry about that. This should be fixed now. I mistakenly had the record message displaying when you beat the average time, not the record time. (This had no effect on actually registering records, it was just a display text for the user's benefit).

Cheers!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 AM

Default Thanks

I figured it was something simple like that. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Could you add the number of people who have solved the puzzle to the pre-game stats.
The average is useful in indicating a puzzles difficulty but if the average time is 30 mins from 2 solvers it could just mean they are slow but if the average is 30 mins from 100 solvers then it is likely to be difficult
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Default Personal Stats

I think it would also be nice to see your personal stats on a puzzle if you have played it before (probably before you play so you can choose a new puzzle if you wish). I think I saw somewhere that you said you had created 10,000 or so puzzles but I know I've at least replayed one of them as did flutefish (because we had the record).

Just something showing your personal best on the puzzle (if you keep those stats?) might be nice.

Along the same lines, I think it would also be nice to see a list of what puzzles you hold the record for (or previously held the record for) so you can track if anyone beats you Maybe this could be in your "my scores" area?

Love the site and love spending time here as breaks (I probably break too often).... and just noticed the forums so figured I would share. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Average Score time

The score card doesn't have an average solve time displayed. I'd like that, considering one of the monthly contests is fastest solver. I like to know how far off the list I am.