Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM

Default It would be useful to have puzzles numbered

Why has each puzzle not got a number? It would be useful to refer to it among ourselves.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Numbers

I believe that each puzzle is nearly or always randomly generated by the software. Therefore, a number would not be easily available. I also believe the puzzles that are generated can have the same clues in a different order as another puzzle. So, even though the puzzles are equivalent one to the other, they would have different numbers. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you Pcuser. Can you gaive me any idea on completing a very difficult puzzle I tried last night? It was solved I think 35% and there was no positive clues only negative ones. Like brian doesn't eat chocolate, that kind. Anyway I managed to work out only two matches and not very many mismatches. I puzzled my brain for 4hours and absolutely made no further progress. How can these ones be done?

Stan
Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 AM

Default Hi Stan

I would need the clues for any attempt at a solution. i would be willing to try.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
FridayFirst Names
Angel
Braydon
Caitlyn
Janiyah
KaileyCookies
almond
black and white
chocolate chip
gingerbread
peanut butterMythological Names
Agamemnon
Cassiopeia
Endymion
Eurydice
Hephaestus

1. The person who named their dog Cassiopeia didn't bake almond cookies.
2. The five individuals are the baker who made peanut butter cookies, the person who named their dog Endymion, the baker who made chocolate chip cookies, Braydon and the person who arrived on Monday.
3. The person who arrived on Monday didn't name their dog Agamemnon.
4. Kailey arrived the day before Janiyah.
5. Among the person who named their dog Hephaestus and Angel, one baked chocolate chip cookies and the other arrived on Wednesday.
6. The five individuals are the person who named their dog Eurydice, Braydon, the person who arrived on Monday, the baker who made gingerbread cookies and the baker who made peanut butter cookies.
7. Janiyah baked gingerbread cookies.
8. The person who arrived on Thursday didn't name their dog Eurydice.
9. The person who named their dog Hephaestus didn't bake peanut butter cookies.
10. The baker who made black and white cookies is not Caitlyn.

thank you

Stan
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM

The one I posted above this one was a different one, but nevertheless difficult. I am aged 65 and just started. I am at the moment twice as slow or slower than the average times. I have a lot to learn here. The puzzle I listed about the dogs names and cookies I have only one match the one that was given ie Jaylin makes gingerbread cookies.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM

Actually stanstar, you have more information than you think.

2. The five individuals are the baker who made peanut butter cookies, the person who named their dog Endymion, the baker who made chocolate chip cookies, Braydon and the person who arrived on Monday.

6. The five individuals are the person who named their dog Eurydice, Braydon, the person who arrived on Monday, the baker who made gingerbread cookies and the baker who made peanut butter cookies.

Braydon is listed in both of these 5 individual clues so he could not have any of the cookies, dogs, or days listed in these 2 clues. Monday is also listed in both so the same goes for it, none of the clue listed in the 5 individual clues apply and you should have a lot of Xs for them. Peanut butter cookies is the same case. Then they tell you Janiyah made gingerbread cookies and seeing that it is listed in the 5 individual clues you can have many Xs from that too.

I don't know how to explain better, but I did finish the puzzle under the average time. I think more time and experience will help you to do better on these under 50% solved puzzles. Happy Puzzling!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Angel - Braydon

After entering all the Xs from the initial clues and the positive from clue 7, you can prove that Monday = Kailey = black and white = Cassiopeia.

Using clues 2, 3, 5, and 6, prove that Monday = Cassiopeia.

Clue 2: Endymion cannot be Monday because clue 2 implies that they are different people.
Clue 3: Agamemnon cannot be Monday.
Clue 5: Hephaestus must either be Wednesday or chocolate chip and chocolate chip cannot be Monday (clue 2). So Hephaestus cannot be Monday.
Clue 6: Eurydice cannot be Monday because clue 6 implies that they are different people.

So Cassiopeia = Monday.

After filling in the implications of Cassiopeia = Monday in the DC category block (the intersection of cookies and mythological names), you will see that Agamemnon = peanut butter.

Clue 2: Endymion cannot be peanut butter because the clue implies that they are different people.
Clue 6: Eurydice cannot be peanut butter because the clue implies that they are different people.
Clue 9: Hephaestus cannot be peanut butter.
Clue 2: Cassiopeia is Monday and clue 2 implies that Monday and peanut butter are different people. So Cassiopeia cannot be peanut butter.

So Agamemnon = peanut butter.

After filling in all the implications, we now see that Braydon can only be Hephaestus.

Clue 2, 6: Braydon cannot be Endymion or Eurydice.
Clue 2, 6: Braydon cannot be Cassiopeia because Cassiopeia is Monday and Braydon cannot be Monday.
Clue 2, 6: Braydon can no longer be Agamemnon because now Agamemnon is peanut butter, and Braydon cannot be peanut butter.

So Braydon = Hephaestus.

Using clue 6 some more and the implications from the existing positives, we see that Endymion = gingerbread, and the DC category block is easily completed.

Then using clue 4 and all the accumulated implications we can prove that Kailey = Monday.

That completes our proof that Monday = Kailey = black and white = Cassiopeia.

Once we know Kailey = Monday, we know immediately from clue 4 that Janiyah = Tuesday.

Notice how we used clues 2 and 6 many times to get to this point. This is the gist of suprstarB08's post. There was a lot of information in those two clues.

If you get stuck, and assuming that you haven't misplaced an X somewhere, recheck clues that have the form seen in clue 5. There is usually more information there than you can see at first glance.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Thank you Bob and zenobia43 your advice helped me a lot.

Still struggling with the -35% ones though.

Stan
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Post another tough one if you would like an analysis like the others. I don't want to spoil the fun for you or the others, but it might save you stacks of paper (and time) like I used.

If you see a few of these intial stage walk-throughs, you will start to see the combinations that get you through the crux of the puzzle.

When I finally started to solve the tougher ones, I immediately solved the same puzzle from scratch to make sure I didn't get stuck by the same hidden clue. I.e. I wanted to make sure I actually learned something that I could use in the next puzzle.