Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Default What constitutes failed puzzle

What determines a failed puzzle? Requesting a hint? Submitting an incorrect solution? Something else? Thanks - I'm new to site but have enjoyed logic puzzles since I was a kid.

Last edited by dingo170; 03-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 AM

Default Failed puzzles

A failed puzzle is one that you don't successfully solve within 24 hours. As far as requesting a clue is concerned, I believe that if you request a clue, the puzzle is considered to be unsolved. However, I've never requested one, so I'm not positive about this. If you submit an incorrectly solved puzzle, you just click on the return to puzzle icon to solve it correctly, often by clearing the grid and starting over. If you try several times and just can't solve it correctly, you can always do something else and come back to it with fresh eyes within 24 hours by viewing recent puzzles and clicking the retry button. It then comes back up for you to solve. However, doing so will inflate your average time since the timer runs from the moment you click the Start the Puzzle icon. I've done many puzzles and never found one that didn't have a correct, logical solution. I've believed that a puzzle didn't have one. However, upon returning to it, I've always found that it did have one.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 AM

Default Failed puzzles

Thanks for info, pcuser. Like you, I haven't yet found a puzzle I couldn't solve but have submitted solutions with errors (dumb mistakes - lol). I'm 56 years old and haven't worked these since high school. I find myself getting hooked - I think that's a good thing.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Default Dumb mistakes

I've played 31666 puzzles and I still make the occasional dumb mistake. I'm 60 and had never played logic puzzles before playing here. They are definitely addictive and we are probably compulsive as well. The only puzzles I didn't complete came before I realized I would want to have an overall 100% completion ranking. Oh well, I guess 99.9% will have to do. Have fun playing.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the tip, pcuser. I've been playing on here for a few months but only made an account a few days ago. Had to close the window on a couple games at different times when *ahem* I ought to have been doing other work on the computer Didn't know that would count as failed, and didn't know there was anything I could do about it until I read your post.

Went back through the "recent games" list to finish the ones that were still within 24 hours, but missed 2 that were a bit older. So I guess I'll never have 100% but at least I know for next time

Tags
fail