Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Wink A break from the grids

Here is a great puzzle to give you a break from the grids:

Five friends (three men named Gary, Jim and Orville, plus two women, Leslie and May) played darts, each throwing a score of 101 points in three throws. The dart board contains 20 numbered segments, from 1 to 20. Each of these segments is intersected by two bands--hitting one band earns double the points and hitting the other band earns triple the points. (For example, hitting the segment numbered 15 could yield 15, 30, or 45 points, depending on where it's hit.). The Bulls-eye has an outer ring worth 25 points and an inner circle, considered a double, worth 50 points. Can you determine the order in which each person (identified by first and last names) threw darts, as well as the scores he or she earned on each of his or her first, second and third throws?

1. Each of the 15 darts hit the board, no two earned the same number of points, and no one scored 25 points on a single throw.
2. Of the 20 numbered segments on the board, only the one numbered 19 was hit more than once, but not three times.
3. The lowest number of points earned on a single dart is 4.
4. The player who threw immediately after the one surnamed Sling had at least two even-numbered scores, both in the twenties.
5. One player scored 39 points on a single dart.
6. Each person hit a double on each of his or her first and third darts; each earned more points on his/her first dart than on his/her third dart.
7. The lowest difference between the highest and lowest scores any player earned on individual darts was 11. This was achieved by the player surnamed Glyde.
8. The two women are Ms. Flik and the woman who had the highest first-dart score of any player (who took her turn at some point after Ms. Flik).
9. Orville's second dart earned more points than each of the second darts thrown by women.
10. Leslie did not hit an even-numbered segment on her third throw.
11. On the third dart, the one surnamed Chukka (who was neither first nor fifth to throw) scored twice as many points as the one surnamed Tosse, but fewer points than Jim ( who threw immediately after May).
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Nice Puzzle. Please avert your eyes to avoid spoilers.

I was able to solve this only by assuming that clue 2 meant that only the 19th segment was hit more than once, and NO segment was hit three times. It may work out otherwise, but I arrived at a unique solution by making that assumption.

1. Orville Sling, (20-double, 19-triple, 2-double) 40-57-4
2. Leslie Flik, (14-double, 17-triple, 11-double) 28-51-22
3. Gary Chukka (16-double, 15-triple, 12-double) 32-45-24
4. May Tosse (bull-double, 13-triple, 6-double) 50-39-12
5. Jim Glyde (19-double, 9-triple, 18-double) 38-27-36

To solve, figure out how five different players reached 101 given the constraints. Then calculate names and throwing order based on the three scores rather than the individual throws.

Again, I found it very important to assume each segment other than 19 was hit once at most.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Default Absolutely correct

I'm glad you enjoyed the puzzle and your answer is, of course, correct.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 AM

Exclamation Wow

Did you copy that, or did you make it by yourself?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Default Copied

Logicmaniac, I must confess to having copied the puzzle from a book I have. I'm barely smart enough to solve these puzzles; I could never make one up myself. I just really liked that one and thought all you logic maniacs might like it too.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Oh, OK! Here's a tip: when you copy someone else's work, make sure to say so (and who you copied it from). Otherwise you could get accused of plaigarism. I don't know if that'll happen here, but in schools and in the book market that will definitely happen.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Default Source

The puzzle is from Dell Logic Lovers April 2015, page 59. It was written by Richard Maynard. Thanks for pointing out my omission. I'm pretty sure Richard would be glad to have my puzzle shared with logic hounds.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:34 PM

No problem!