Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Stumped

Wow I can't get a start on this one... not even close... any takers?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 AM

Default Stumped

You have a good start, but you're missing the X from clue 6. Alta Vista and 16.9 must be different.

Then you can get a lot more Xs from clues like 1, 5, and 8. Generally you would want to do those toward the end of your first pass to get as many Xs as you can around those two intersections from the left and right side of the clue.

Clue 8 will give you a lot of Xs, and it will give you the two positives from clue 5.

The left side of clue 8 can only be Escondido or Delores. In your grid, you can see that Escondido cannot be Gwen or Joan. So that means that the left side can only be Delores or something that cannot be Gwen or Joan.

So 12.5 and 1968 can never be Gwen or Joan.

Follow similar logic to place several more Xs just for clue 8. I think I got around 7 Xs for clue 8 instead of just 2. How many you get will depend on the order you work the clues.

The important one is the one that tells us that 12.5 cannot be Joan.

Since Joan cannot be 12.5, then clue 5 tells us that Joan is 1952, and Escondido is 12.5.

Then we go right back to clue 8 (now that we know Escondido is 12.5) and get another positive.

What looked pretty hopeless at first is now filling in nicely, and the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope that was right.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 AM

I thought I'd try my hand at this one. I'm not sure if it's correct but take a look.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Zenobia43, thanks... my brain hurts

Now that you point it out, I see how we can know from clue 8 and the 3 crosses on Escondido that indeed, 12.5 and 1968 can't be Gwen or Joan. One must be Delores and the other must be Nina or Yvette, so G and J are eliminated.

"Follow similar logic to place several more Xs just for clue 8. I think I got around 7 Xs for clue 8 instead of just 2."

Of the hurricane that caused $12.5 million in damage and the storm that hit in 1968, one hit land at Escondido and the other was Hurricane Deloris.

I'm going back to bed. Oh I already did that and it didn't help. If this were a private conversation I'd likely and move on but perhaps there's somebody else who could learn from me asking you to spell it out a bit more? If it's interesting...

Laura you got it, I'd left the puzzle open and just checked your solution, good job.

Thanks