Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Hall of Fame?

I KNOW I solved every puzzle I attempted (so, I do have a 100% success rate), and I KNOW I solved puzzles faster than 316.6 seconds. Why am I not in the top 20?

It definitely took me a few tries to solve some puzzles, so I could understand that affecting my 100% success rate, if success is defined as solving puzzles on the first try every time.

But I don't understand why I'm not one of the Top 20 "Fastest Solvers" when I KNOW I solved puzzles faster than 316.6 seconds.

Can someone please clarify how those two categories work?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM

Admin? Anyone?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Administrator

In the fastest-solver challenge, players compete to achieve the lowest average solving time for all puzzles solved during the competition month. Only players who are ranked in the top 50 of that month's high-score challenge, and who have a solving percentage of 75% or better, are eligible for this contest.

My guess: you probably weren't in the top 50 for overall points.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My guess: you probably weren't in the top 50 for overall points.
Yeah, I definitely wasn't. It would be great if that clause could be added to the description of the Fastest Solver Challenge.

Right now it reads:
Quote:
Below are the final results from the December 2012 Fastest Solver Competition. Awards are given to the top twenty ranked players every month. You may click on a user's name to enter their personal trophy room. Don't see your name on this list? Keep trying! Three new competitions begin on the first of every month.
As you can see, there's nothing in there that says you must ALSO be one of the top 50 overall point winners.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Administrator

It's there - my post above was literally copied and pasted from it. :-)

Thanks for playing!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Looks like we were looking at two different pages. I found the one you were looking at: http://www.logic-puzzles.org/contest3.php

The one I was looking at was this one:
http://www.logic-puzzles.org/results...=12&y=2012&c=3

As you can see, on THAT page, the bit about "Only players who are ranked in the top 50 of that month's high-score challenge, and who have a solving percentage of 75% or better, are eligible for this contest." is definitely missing.

Can it please be added to the page that I was looking at? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks, Princess_Bear, I hadn't seen that first link.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM

According to this system then, your ability ranks less than your available free time. 50 players who play 1000 games each but poorly get all the top spots, while the skilled players who play 300 games each lose out.

For a logic puzzle site, that doesn't seem very logical.

I understand the dilemma, but I think a fixed cutoff based not on points but on number of games would be a better reflection. For example, rank only those who play 100 times per month or more. This removes the ones who play only a few times, but still rewards the more skilled over the more prolific.