Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Exclamation challenge part 2

Hello, I'm back again with a new puzzle for you! But before that lets all give a big congrats to Rustysocket, who answered the first question first! For those who answer the questions first, you will be entered in the logicians hall. Rustysockets answer was that the men threw a cigarette off, so the boat became a cigarette lighter!

Now, this teaser is NOT A JOKE! So the answer IS POSSIBLE AND REASONABLE! Its a little harder than last times! Here it is:

A six year old boy goes up to a tree a wonders how tall he is, so he stands next to the tree and drives a nail to the tree to mark his height, he then measures the distance from the ground to the mark and discovers he is 4 feet tall. He leaves the nail in the tree. 3 years later, he returns to the tree and has grown 2 feet and 7.5 inches (yes, he is a fast grower) and the tree has grown 1/5 of his height that he is now. How far up will the nail be in the tree?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 PM

63.9 inches
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM

36.0 inches
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Nope, but great guess!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Wink good guesses

nope, but great guesseS! alsO, the answer i'M looking for is how far thE nail is off THe ground or where the nail markING iS on the tree. not how far it the Nail grEw from its original place, which i belieVE people aRe thinking of when i phrased the last sentence. i tried to edit and CHANGE my post, but it didn't work, so i'm telling you this this way. so that's the "case". happy logical reasoning!

Last edited by hardcore; 12-19-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: bad uppercase
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Never Changes... 4 feet?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 PM

Talking congrats novacule

Congrats Novacule! It appears that you got the answer! Yes the nail is four feet in the tree! I see that you decoded my post message and saw the phrase "some things never change" and saw that the nail never changed places. Since that was a little fast, I decided that the person that explains why the nail is four feet, they share the title with Novacule for question number 2. And if Novacule also explains, he gets the title.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Because when you put something into a tree, it stays there. The tree grows up and around it, it doesn't travel up with the tree as it grows.

I remember there was a line of barbed wire fencing in the woods around my parents house. A tree apparently grew up around it. The barbed wire was simply passing through it.

Tags
the test