Old 06-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Default Changes coming to Logic-Puzzles.org

Hi everyone -

It's been a while since we've made a significant upgrade to the site, but I wanted to let everyone know that we’ll be refocusing our efforts on a major upgrade to Logic-Puzzles.org – which will include not only a site redesign (to bring it in line with our newer template) but also a radical infusion of new, never-before-seen puzzles. We’re in the middle of rebuilding our puzzle generator from the ground up to incorporate several user requests and suggestions we’ve received over the past two years. Namely:
  1. Wider variety of puzzle sizes. To-date its been only 4×4 and 4×5 puzzles, but we’ll be expanding into other sizes, such as 5×5, 4×6, and possibly even larger ones.
  2. New clue types and solving logic. Our new puzzles will be incorporating some new types of clues not used before on the site, and some will require solvers to make logical deductions never before required. So get ready for some new challenges!
  3. Wider variety of people, places and things. We’re working on vastly expanding our descriptive database so that you won’t get quite so many repeated categories and items.
  4. Wider variety of difficulty levels - Part of the puzzle generator rebuild included a much more robust difficulty rating scale. This means many more "difficult" and "very difficult" puzzles, for those looking for a bigger challenge.
  5. Revamp the hints button. We’ll admit it – the hints feature needs some work. We’ll be rebuilding it from scratch to ensure that you get the hints you need when you get stuck on a puzzle.
  6. Ability to choose your puzzle size/difficulty - this is a frequent request, and if all goes to plan we'll finally be granting it.
Look for all this to start up around July or August. Once we have a definite date for the upgrade I'll post it here so that there are no surprises.

Thanks for playing!

Stephen
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Smile

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for listening!! I will look forward to seeing the changes implemented.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Sounds good! Thanks for an already awesome site.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:45 AM

Smile

I Am new to your site but love it, look forward to your new plans ..
Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Smile

Thanks Stephen

This is already an awesome site, and these upgrades will make it even better.

I would really love to see a 'save' function that would allow you to have a checkpoint you could go back to. Once I've filled in all the info from the given clues, there are times when I have to choose between 2 options and this choice sometimes leads to the wrong solution. It would be nice to be able to revert back to the 'saved' puzzle and continue from there.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkertesz View Post
Thanks Stephen

This is already an awesome site, and these upgrades will make it even better.

I would really love to see a 'save' function that would allow you to have a checkpoint you could go back to. Once I've filled in all the info from the given clues, there are times when I have to choose between 2 options and this choice sometimes leads to the wrong solution. It would be nice to be able to revert back to the 'saved' puzzle and continue from there.
I understand your point, but it raises a question I've had. Should you have to make a choice? Shouldn't the clues give us enough? I too have made choices, I just wonder if I'm missing a clue somehow.
Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Default Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
I understand your point, but it raises a question I've had. Should you have to make a choice? Shouldn't the clues give us enough? I too have made choices, I just wonder if I'm missing a clue somehow.
Thanks.
I believe we should be able to figure out the puzzles without making choices. However, I still sometimes make a choice. Sometimes I make choices to save time going through the grid to find the data I need. And sometimes I miss something and have to make a choice for that reason. Either way, if you consider that having a checkpoint gives one an unfair advantage over the solver who figures it out without having to make a choice, as much as it would be nice to have, I must come down against having it.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Hi Steven

Does this mean we will have new record times for a given puzzle when we set a new record?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Thumbs up Merge

Will you merge all your sites into one too
Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 AM

These all sound like nice changes, but could I make a recommendation? There are times when I need to leave a puzzle (phone call, dinner prep, knock on the door, etc...) and I would like to be able to save or pause the puzzle to finish it a few minutes later... Unfortunately right now all I can do is either let the timer keep running, or just close the page.

Don't know if this can be done without changing the "fairness" of the point system - but it might be a feature worth looking into.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter. =)