Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I generally don't find it fastest to start with Rule #3 below. I'd say it's usually the 3rd or 4th strategy I go to. I also find it necessary/quicker to fill in a couple squares in the bottom grids at least 50% of the time. However, I've also found that my approach continually evolves or grows more nuanced - what I thought was the best strategy six months ago is not what I use now. Curious re the approach of other 4x7 challenging players.

Also, is the low limit the same for all 4x7 puzzles? I've seen low 120s for a 4x7 challenging and have hit the 120s a few times myself, but I don't think I've ever seen a score below 120.
You're totally right when you move up to the challenging puzzles, but mostly what I was offering was for the easy versions. In easy, the "logical leaps" portion of the puzzle is usually only limited to one or two, and they're pretty easy to see once you get most of the top grid filled out. In challenging, there are quite a few more "true pair" and "cross eliminations" that require the lower grids, and the time penalty for missing these is much higher than the time required to fill the lower grids. I'm still convinced that only certain information needs to go in the bottom grids on challenging, but I haven't figured out which ones to keep and which ones to skip.

Either way, your comment about nuances is even more pronounced when you get to the higher difficulties. I suspect that an iron clad strategy, even if it exists, would be very hard to describe. It ultimately depends on your own individual experience, and many approaches yield the same fast times.

As for the minimums, I've actually seen a few puzzles on 4x7 easy with records below the 120. I think these might have been set before the minimum was established, though.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 PM

I look for shorter clues and then go from top to bottom, over and over, until I fill in the top row (just the top, if I can, so as not to waste time). Some of the clue patterns are pretty common, and you begin to recognize them after a while. There are a couple of places where I can't make a logical leap, and then I use hints so I can figure out the leap next time. I used to be very slow, and now I am usually on the higher end of the bell curve, with a couple of record times (not many). There are also certain puzzles that are easier for me to understand; I have trouble with the ones that are just huge strings of numbers and usually skip those.

As for playing the same puzzles and memorizing them, I've gotten similar puzzles many, many times, but they always shuffle the information in them.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Well, that seems to make sense.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Question ?

Originally Posted by JimmyDukeStr View Post
Well, that seems to make sense.