Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 AM

Default Ads that refocus and scroll screen

In the past few days, I've noticed ads re-scrolling and refocusing the screen up to the ad, and away from the puzzle.

I usually scroll down a little bit so that I can see all of the puzzle on my screen. When I'm in the middle of solving the puzzle, the ad will undo my scrolling and put the focus on the add, which completely changes the screen so that I have to scroll back down to the puzzle to solve it. It does this over and over when solving a puzzle and has dramatically affected my solving times and enjoyment of the puzzles.

I'm using google chrome on linux, if that helps. I have not tested other browsers.

I've included screenshots of 2 of the problematic ads. I noticed a different ad yesterday, but didn't take a screenshot.

Hope this info is helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot_040.png (49.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png screenshot_041.png (44.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM

Hi Trask,

Are these ads that play sound and video? That alone would drive me mad - on a puzzle sight especially... I suppose you could try using AdBlock - works beautifully w/ Chrome.

Depending on the software required to run them, you may be able to force a stop. You'd have to see what the ads are using and whether it impacts anything else. Not much help, I realize, but if you don't get any help from this site, might be worth asking over at howtogeek.com forums: https://discuss.howtogeek.com/ -- they can get around nearly anything.

Also, probably worth mentioning the Premium option depending on how much you come here, enjoy the site and your finances. The bigger issue is that even if you have ads, they shouldn't be scrolling your screen or blaring out audio-visually on a puzzle page.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 PM

Hi trask,

I would recommend the same thing like Ella recommended, try installing AdBlock on your Chrome browser. It blocks almost all ads in the internet, and I never see any ads in here (unless for the ad by this web promoting premium membership).
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

I don't know if they play sound or not, I keep my speaker on mute most of the time. One problem is that the ad will scroll in the middle of a click, and then I end up clicking the wrong box.

I am not interested in paying for a premium membership. I could block the ad, but would rather not take away the site's source of income.

I'm surprised no one else is having this problem. I would think the ads that do this should be banned by the site owner or the ad server that they use. I've never had this problem before in the years I've used the site.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Default Forced Scroll Ads.

Yeah man, I hate those on every site. I wish that they would never have existed in the first place.