Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 AM

two quick clarifications

(1) real, not "read"
(2) pcuser, not suggesting you're one of those people who make silly claims about people cheating because they don't understand who someone's scores can be so low - you're obviously experienced. But you're also the first experienced player I've heard make this claim, and I'm curious what your evidence is for it.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:27 PM

I'm curious as to what evidence there is of cheating as well - I don't know that I've seen any scores that indicate to me that anyone is cheating. I usually live in the 4x5 challenging realm.

I read the OP and I was going to go into how the "time it takes to read clues" is not a good metric to use because if you're reading every word in the clue you're probably not in the "very fast" range consistently, but the OP was a troll based on the fact that they think trying to find the same puzzle is a good way to cheat.

There are a few people with very fast times on the 4x5 challenging. When I'm having a good game, I'm usually within a few seconds of those times, sometimes faster sometimes slower. Some of those people are also capable of really fast times on puzzles where my brain can't work it out in five minutes or more. My assumption is that they're just better than me on those particular types of puzzles, based on the fact that I know their efforts on other puzzles are within human range.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I have never seen scores so low on the 4x7 puzzles that they could be achieved by cheating (I never saw the 71 sec score another user mentioned).
Next time I`ll make a screenshot. And mark, please: I never speak about cheating.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Didn't mean to imply you had! But that score is so verrrry low, that it almost makes me wonder if it was a fluke (it was on the highest difficult 4x7, yes?). If someone was cheating to get scores low, I'd think we might see more of them. Though totally possible someone figured out how to cheat and only did it once or twice, so there are very few "cheat" scores out there.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrary View Post
There are a few people with very fast times on the 4x5 challenging.
I also live in this realm, and I agree. There are some names I see a lot, and I seem to be wildly all over the "very fast" times, speckled with a few averages, (with occasional "oh shoot I misread a clue" times that are lower ). Sometimes I'm just a second or two off from the record, sometimes I'm in "very fast" with a time double the top score, and occasionally I do the opposite of that - I had one where, no cheating, I got around 90 seconds because I saw the right clues in the right order and it all just fell into place, and then I finished and submitted, and had the high score over someone who had around 175 seconds.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
But this isn't at all what I asked. I didn't ask how they were cheating on old or new puzzles or anything that might reveal this to other people. I asked what led you to believe people were cheating? Which level puzzles? Since you can only see the scores of other people, and not how they went about solving it, I assume you're basing your conclusion on the scores, which makes it relevant which level puzzle because as I mentioned, I have never seen scores so low on the 4x7 puzzles that they could be achieved by cheating (I never saw the 71 sec score another user mentioned).

If the scores were so egregiously low that cheating was self-evident, I would think people who play a lot would have come across them and would know they were too fast to be read. But the only people who ever claim that are people who are new and/or can't solve the puzzles quickly. If you're claiming people are cheating on some other basis, I can't think what that basis could be.
As I said, I found cheating. That's all I'll say as I don't want others to even think about what I found. If I explained how I figured it out, it would reveal their methods. Not what we want...
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 AM

pcuser - so you should fwd your information to the admin, so that maybe s/he can make the changes needed to stop that method from happening... just in case there are others that have found that way..

.bri.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Smile Hey

Quote:
two quick clarifications

(1) real, not "read"
(2) pcuser, not suggesting you're one of those people who make silly claims about people cheating because they don't understand who someone's scores can be so low - you're obviously experienced. But you're also the first experienced player I've heard make this claim, and I'm curious what your evidence is for it.
The reason I don't share that evidence is because others would realize a way of cheating they probably wouldn't think to do. I'm against cheating and don't appreciate others doing so. That's why I don't much worry about those who do find ways to cheat. I simply play for and against myself...
Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhh View Post
pcuser - so you should fwd your information to the admin, so that maybe s/he can make the changes needed to stop that method from happening... just in case there are others that have found that way..

.bri.
Agreed! Please forward to the admin! I'd prefer no cheating on here, and I'm sure others would too.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 AM

Smile

Something I forgot about. Shortly after the new puzzles came out, I was getting inaccurate and very low times, often 'setting records'. I couldn't figure out what the problem was and couldn't fix it myself. After not getting any response from admin, I stopped doing puzzles for quite a while as it wasn't any fun getting false scores. A couple years later, I tried playing again and that bug was nowhere to be seen. So it's possible some very fast times could have been one of those that someone had...