Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Angry Some puzzles require guessing

I have found that almost all of the puzzles with low completion rates (less than 30%) require guessing. That is, the clues are insufficient to solve the puzzle. This month, I'm going for 100% completion, so I keep guessing until I get them done, but it's annoying. Here's one example.

<http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.php?u=6af2ed56049b00c550123484d0ed190b>

I looked for a similar thread and didn't see one.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Dear Gavin71,

I copied your link and it went to the successful completion page, no puzzle or clue information.

I have only found one or two puzzles that I felt the need to guess as the clues weren't leading me to the correct solution, but feel that I probably just missed something along the way. Occassionally, you have to use deductive reasoning (the same person in two clues using the same day or other criteria indicates that person is or is not that criteria!)

An option you can try is to print the screen with the grid and clues, log out and work it on paper. Your time will still be low, but sometimes it helps to walk away and work it out on paper. Another option is to not start puzzles with the lowest success rate %, just keep clicking NEW GAME until you find statistics you feel comfortable with.

I hope this helps you. Remember that the more puzzles you do, the better you get!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 AM

That's good advice. Another thing I've found is that when it looks like the clues are insufficient, what helps to solve is looking harder at the "later / earlier" or "more / less" clues.

Also, when I've gotten stuck many times what helps is looking at the "five people are" clues. Each of the 5 should take up one row of the grid. Look across the rows that are missing a circle and see if one of the 5 will fit there.

Each puzzle actually has enough clues for solving if you can recognize them. Hope this helps.

Laura
Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM

Look across clues, too. If "A" arrived before "B", you put a cross in the "A" is not "B" section of the grid. Then you later deduce that "C" arrived after "B" and you put a cross in the "B" vs "C" part. Don't forget that means that "A" is not "C" as well...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Default reductio ad absurdum

I have found that some of the more difficult problems can be solved by a guessing of sorts.

1) Use clues provided to solve as much of the puzzle as possible.
2) Make a guess.
3) Complete the puzzle using what you can deduce from your assumption.
4) If you run into a contradiction (i.e. Sarah owns Bermuda and Key West) then you know that you have guessed incorrectly. Go back and resume the puzzle from the point where you guessed - this time making the opposite choice.
5) If you do not find a contradiction then you guessed correctly.

The key here - like what the other responses have indicated - is that there is enough information in the clues. Getting this information just requires more creative methods.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM

The problem with that is remembering where you were when you made the guess, without an undo it takes a lot to ensure you remember which X and O are after the point when you guessed!