Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests

Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 AM

I don't like "racing" as such, but I do like the timer as a way to measure whether I'm improving or not.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up You're describing me!

I was wondering the same thing! I've even gone into my settings to try to figure out how to turn competitive mode off. I also do these puzzles to relax and currently have six browser tabs open myself. I have even fallen asleep once or twice in the middle of a puzzle, just like you.

I don't mind the competitive aspect; I would just prefer to have the option to turn it off. Most of the time, I could care less what my time in solving the puzzle was, what the average time to solve the puzzle is, or who solved the puzzle the fastest. I just want to solve the puzzle! Nothing more! Solving the logic puzzles the fastest doesn't necessarily make you smarter than everyone else. All it proves is that you either have a lot more free time than the rest of us do or that you're a Vulcan. :-)

So I am in complete agreement with you concerning the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipaddict View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is about being able to solve a logic puzzle in 124 seconds. What is the rush? Are we going to have to solve a puzzle in order to defuse a bomb?

Personally, I do these puzzles to relax. I'm not in a hurry, and I usually have more than one thing going on a time. It's just one browser tab out of many, LOL. Sometimes I fall asleep in the middle of one and finish the next day. So my times are horrible.

So what is it? What makes you want to get the fastest time? Do you get some kind of prize? Or is it a personal satisfaction to know you have the fastest, smartest brain?

Last edited by PhoenixFire25; 03-30-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 AM

Couldn't care less about the time thing.

My objective is to complete the puzzle before someone in the office catches me doing it and not doing what I'm being paid to do.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM

The only way to turn competitive mode off is to logout.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM

There used to be accuracy/completion, speed, and average points competitions on the old site. Back then it didn't go as complicated as 4X7 and you couldn't select size or difficulty. Completion rate is meaningless now because it counts puzzles with removed errors and hints used, the old site didn't count those as completed.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 AM

Thumbs up Old site

The old site was different and all the stats are gone or inaccessible. So, for all practical purposes, the old site is dead and long gone...
Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 AM

I just find the timer there for personal use. Not in a competitive mood at all on here.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM

I feel the same way. I go for accuracy before low time. But it is a game for enjoyment and anyway a person enjoys it alright with me.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 AM

Default Timer and scoring

I never used to log in but found I have so many interruptions I wanted to save and return to games. For me it is about solving without guessing...I have to understand the logic or I don't get the satisfaction of completing. Frankly, I was amazed how slow I am sometimes and decided to log in as I feel the distributed results are probably skewed to the super fast players. I did find getting charged a penalty for an error and then benefitting from the knowledge it gave, resulted in faster solving times - but as I say that delivers no satisfaction...
Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 AM

Strange to me that so many people don't like it. It's my favorite part. I actually wish there were monthly results on the fastest average times (and a running list of the top 20 people with most #1 times on puzzles).