Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM

Default getting faster on 4X4 puzzles...

Hi all,
I've gotten pretty good on the 5X5 puzzles, regularly scoring above 400 points. However, when it comes to smaller puzzles, I only average around 300 points. To really compete with high scores, I and others need to be able to blaze through the smaller ones for high points. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Thanks,
pcuser
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM

You get less points for the 4x4 puzzles because they are easier. Even doing them in under 100 seconds you only get 340ish points. If you're looking for more points per puzzle stick to 5x5.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 AM

The highest score I've ever gotten on a 4x4 is 356 points, and that was for 41 seconds. The only way to get higher scores is to do bigger puzzles. Get really fast at those, and you can score around 500 points.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymom View Post
The highest score I've ever gotten on a 4x4 is 356 points, and that was for 41 seconds.
Wow !!! I've seen a bunch of your records, but 41seconds is just crazy.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Default Low times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Wow !!! I've seen a bunch of your records, but 41seconds is just crazy.
Joe,

The best time I've posted is 17 seconds for a 5X5 puzzle. I received 531 points and a new record. I'd bet big money that Laura has done similar times also. When you play long enough like Laura and I have, you start recognizing the patterns very quickly and just fill in the answers on the top row to finish the puzzles. You still can't do it on every puzzle. However, it happens often enough that your average time goes way down. Just keep playing and it will come to you.

pcuser
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 AM

Here is my question though:

What is the point in doing these puzzles if you don't have to read the clues, you are just filling in boxes?

I mean, in 17 seconds there is no way you can read and process every clue, so if you are just doing pattern-work, why do the puzzles at all?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM

I do the puzzles because both pattern recognition and speed of solving for the ones I don't recognize is good brain exercise. As we age, these things become more important to keeping a healthy mind as exercise is great for a healthy body. Also, I enjoy pushing my limits.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 AM

Cool i hope i'm wrong

how can you solve it in 17 seconds without reading it? i supose you use some kind of program or you are just playing to it all the day.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Default You are wrong

Hi,
I can recognize patterns in the grid. Sometimes, I see patterns very early by doing certain clues first. Therefore, I sometimes see the pattern from the first clue and fill in the grid without reading the rest of the clues. That's how I get some times in the teens. After you do a lot of puzzles, you will begin to see patterns as well. There was a thread somewhere where patterns were discussed. I read this thread early on and started looking for patterns as well as simply solving very fast. Hope this helps.
pcuser
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Default Programs?

I suppose one could figure out a program to solve the puzzles. However, it would take longer unless you could somehow write a program to operate directly on the site at a deep level. If you did that, I suppose you would have a very deep understanding of solving logic puzzles. At that point, doing puzzles would become boring and very repetitious.
pcuser