Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 AM

Lightbulb Puzzle Scores

What is the basis for determining how to award
points?
A recent puzzle was
You solved the puzzle correctly in 20 minutes, 1 second. That's worth 136 points!
I felt I flew through this one without really stopping. I am answering pretty quickly but it still takes me 15+ minutes to complete. I am clicking as fast and as many boxes as I can.
On my machine it might take 20+ seconds to register the X or 0. Many times I have to reclick an X that was supposed to be a 0.

I am seeing a wide variety of amounts for awared for each of my games. And nothing compared to many of the other people with similar amount of games. Specially seeing 5165 points for someone else with a similar number of games and percentage of wins. This is not making sense.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl231 View Post
On my machine it might take 20+ seconds to register the X or 0.
Hello -

The comment above concerns me - that should certainly not be the case. Clicking an X or an O should be near-instantaneous. Have you tried using a different browser, such as Firefox? Its available for free at: www.getfirefox.com. I can only think your current browser must be running slowly or have some add-ons or plugins that are affecting performance. Are you using Internet Explorer by any chance?

Puzzle scores are awarded based on time elapsed. Generally speaking, very good solvers can knock out a puzzle in 4-5 minutes, and those are awarded higher scores than those solved in 15-20 minutes.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Two different machines one old and definitely slower with IE6.
The other is Win XP with IE7 and still has a delay but not as long.

As for time to solve it takes me at least 4 minutes to read the clues and I am an excellent solver. Been doing these on paper for 30+ years
So, I will just enjoy doing the puzzles
and will totally ignore the stats and the useless HOF because they actually do not really mean anything.

thanks - love the puzzles

Old 10-14-2009, 10:20 PM

how do we view the scores that we've accumulated? or is that just a score for that individual puzzle?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 AM

What are the points for anyways? I get inspired to obtain points, but then I don't know what I am supposed to use them for and/or how to keep track of them.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM

After you have logged in, look at the selections on the top of the screen. There is one that says 'my scores'. Click on that, and you can get your own score and time totals. The reason to have points is to move up in the various competitions, like high score, fastest solve times, and accuracy. They are just a way to see how you compare with others who are using the site.