Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 08-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab View Post
I don't know, Stanstar, but I am sure that some of the players on here must be among the best anywhere. I do only 4x7 challenging puzzles, but can't seem to get any better than about 12 minutes on the average, despite having spent many years doing logic puzzles lots more difficult than these. Yet, there are several people on here that can do these puzzles in half that time, and less. I am amazed.
Since you have been doing logic grid puzzles, what benefits do you notice. Secondly are there logic puzzles you have seen with at least 28 clues.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM

Default Re grids and 28 clues or more

Hi, theomeo1. In the October 2014 PennyPress Original Logic Puzzles book, at the back of the book where the hardest puzzles are, there was one I just did that had 20 clues. (The clue section is actually numbered 1 through 9, but each numbered paragraph contains multiple distinctive clues; the numbers being for reference purposes in the puzzle solving explanation section at the very end of the book.). In the past, I think some of these puzzles have had 28 or more distinctive clues. The puzzle I just did took me several hours in each of two separate days to complete. (I'm thinking Zenobia could probably do it in twenty minutes!). Anyway these kinds of puzzles, that require a lot of thinking and scribbling things out on paper, have always been my favorite. I tended to skip the grid puzzles in the books I got because they seemed boring in comparison. Then I discovered this site and started doing grid puzzles with a passion. I think that the element of racing against the clock--and still getting to do some thinking--was what appealed to me, However, I seem to find that using a grid takes away a little bit from the process of deductive reasoning based on the clues alone. I often find myself making answer choices based on patterns on the grid--such as seeing that the same two, three spaces on the grid are empty for two, three rows or columns on the grid, rather than coming to the conclusion that, for example, only John, Ted or Mary could have lived in Idaho, Kansas or Kentucky because of whatever deductive reasoning it took to come to that conclusion. On the other hand, I have actually made huge grids for some of the long puzzles that I do because that was the only way I could manage the elimination process. In short, when it comes to logic puzzles for me, it's all good. (Jeez, I just looked at my post. They don't call me Blab for nothing.)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM

I used to be a software engineer, but am now completely burned out on coding (retired). I started doing logic puzzles to keep my brain alive, but now I'm just totally addicted. I find they really do help in keeping my brain active, tho'. In answer to your other question, I have never seen 20 clues. Hope you enjoy :-)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Blab & Alic

Thank you for your response. Yes I agree logic grid puzzles keep your brain active and help you in everyday life. by looking at a life problem with the same look you would give a grid puzzle problem. Just today a problem with a renter came up and I was able to dissect using the information and come to a conclusion.