Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM

Default why pause

The reason you would want a pause AND a timer is so you could play against yourself without being ranked against others. In other words... you would be able to see improvements in times that would be obscured when ranked and categorized (as slow, super slow, etc.)

Stan is absolutely correct, though. If there is no timer, there is no need to pause.

Last edited by dasadler; 04-06-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Maybe just make it so that the bell curve is optional and something you can toggle in user preferences? That way you don't have to see how you compare to others unless you want to.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM

Default Time are unreasonable

I agree. I do not like the bell cure. Especially as the times are completely unreasonable. Nobody could do these puzzels so fast. You can't even read the clues in 30 seconds much less do the puzzle. Makes me mad
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM

Cool Fun Mode

I agree, there needs to be a Fun or Relaxed mode for when you do not feel like competing. Sometimes I am just waiting for something else to be ready to do and want to do a quick puzzle.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:46 AM

Me too, I am a beginner and not an adult.
I want to do the puzzle relaxed, not rushed. When I am rushed, it actually makes me do things slowly.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbly View Post
I agree. I do not like the bell cure. Especially as the times are completely unreasonable. Nobody could do these puzzels so fast. You can't even read the clues in 30 seconds much less do the puzzle. Makes me mad
If you're referring to a 3x4 easy puzzle, yes, it is actually possible to read, mark boxes, and complete a puzzle that fast. I only rarely beat the record time, but I can get close enough sometimes knowing that I had to Undo or missed something in a clue which added time. Reading skill and speed, knowledge of logic puzzle clue styles, practice doing them, some familiarity with common categories, and other factors can all combine to create a pretty wide spread of times.

I do agree that an option to not compare personal results to others would be nice. Sometimes I do these on a break at work, and finished or not, I have to stop when my break is over ... which horribly skews my numbers because I'd rather leave it open than lower my completion percentage.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM

At work, when I have to go, I click "Save Progress" then I close my browser (or tab) with the game. That stops the clock. When I reopen, I sign back in and click on the "Recent Games" button. There will show all the games recently completed and the ones not completed. Click on the button of the one not completed. It will reopen that game...at the last point you saved your progress. The only downside is that all the clues are "active" again so I have to do some re-reading. It still skews the completion times but not as bad as leaving the game open.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbly View Post

I don't think the times are unreasonable. I have completed a puzzle in 34 seconds.

Dont mind me,
I am Warp
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM

I'd like an answer to that question as well. At the top of my page it says that I am in competitive mode, which implies that there is another mode. Can't figure out how to get to any other mode, however.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 PM

I think warps signature file says how to feel about 'competitive' mode.... don't care.
I just epically failed. Not just normal failed, I set the record in the wrong way. lol, I was trying to 'cheat' my way with the correction thing and it backfired big time. Who cares? I just said I did terrible and no one is going to check it except me cause no one cares about it except me. Anyone quicker will have the knowledge because they've been where you are now at one time. Lower scores are freaking great to have in your history because it keeps your current lifetime average just slightly lower than what your current average is. So by competing against yourself, you'll beat it more than half the time.
Essentially what I'm saying is that in a month, you'll be competing against your current scores now. If you fail miserably now; you'll be able to win against yourself later. It's kinda like saying, "I am sooo going to kick my butt with a crappy score like that."
yep, pretzel logic here hope it makes sense.