Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Interesting speed

Why is it that I see the same user name with the fastest time on a ton of puzzles but that user isn't anywhere on the hall of fame? I also find it odd that some users have basically the same time for all their puzzles. Like 30 seconds on all easy 3x4 puzzles.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 PM

1. Probably because the puzzles they have the fastest times on aren't worth many points. The highest score you can get on a 3x4, for example, is 80 points, I believe.

2. This website won't accept any times faster than 30 seconds. It's likely that, in many cases, these people are completing their puzzles in a variety of times quicker than 30 seconds, but they'll all appear as 30 in the end.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 AM

The way the Hall of Fame works is that it ranks players by most points earned. So, you might hold many records for puzzles - even 4x7s, worth I think 980 points - and still, if you don't play hundreds of puzzles, your name won't appear in the Hall of Fame.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 PM

Yes, so a 4x7 puzzle, whether easy, moderate, or difficult, is worth a maximum of 983 points.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM

As Alethea suggested, getting lots of records is not key to getting in the rankings.

I'm currently ranked #14 for this month, and mostly play 4x4 puzzles. I only get a record on about 10% of the puzzles that I play. But, I usually average about 250 points per puzzle. Even if every puzzle I solved was a record, I'd only be getting 290 points per puzzle.

So, the most important thing for being ranked is just to do lots of puzzles.

When you look at the stats for people in rankings, you can see what kinds of puzzles those people prefer for getting points. I get the most points per second with 4x4 puzzles, but most people in there prefer 4x6 or 4x7s. I haven't seen anyone in the rankings that uses 3x4 or 3x5 puzzles.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM

uigrad, you're completely right. I think that the very small puzzles are worth so few points, it's not possible to do enough in a day (or month, as it were) to earn enough points to get in the Hall of Fame.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Awesome guys! Thanks for the explanation!