Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 PM

I solved a 4x7 Challenging without any hints today for the first time. Tried another one and got totally stumped.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Default another strange hint

Can anyone help explain this one. A 4x5 challenge type.

1.*The ring made of platinum cost more than the ring with the topaz.
2.*Jacquelyn's piece is either the piece made of 18k gold or the ring with the sapphire.
3.*Opal's piece doesn't have the topaz.
4.*Neither the piece that cost $1100 nor the piece made of silver is Felicia's piece.
5.*Jacquelyn's ring doesn't have the amethyst.
6.*The piece with the ruby cost 200 dollars more than the ring with the topaz.
7.*Of Felicia's ring and Natasha's piece, one is made of platinum and the other has the ruby.
8.*The ring made of 18k gold cost 200 dollars more than the ring with the diamond.
9.*The ring made of silver cost 200 dollars less than the ring made of 14k gold.
10.*The piece made of 14k gold has the sapphire.

HINT:*There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place topaz and silver both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means topaz cannot be equal to silver. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE.

Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grid1.JPG (73.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 AM

You already have 14k = sapphire in your grid (from clue 10).

Combine this with clues 6 and 9 like this:

Clue 6: topaz -> -> ruby
Clue 9: silver -> -> 14K/sapphire

Notice that the right sides of these two inequalities are the same step distance from the left, and notice that the right side options of ruby and sapphire are in the same category.

Since ruby and sapphire can never be in the same row, and since they are a fixed distance from topaz and silver, then topaz and silver cannot be in the same row.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Clue 10 tells us 14k gold is sapphire.
Clue 9 tells us that silver is $200 less than gold.
Combining the two tells us that silver is $200 less than sapphire.
Meanwhile clue 6 tells us that topaz is $200 less than ruby.
If topaz is $200 less than ruby, it can't also be $200 less than sapphire (like silver is) so therefore topaz cannot be silver.

Does that help?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Silver is two steps ($200) less than 14k gold(hint #9)
14k gold = sapphire (hint #10) so silver is two steps ($200) less than sapphire
Topaz is two steps ($200) less than ruby (hint #6)

Sapphire & ruby are in the same category so can't have the same value.
Therefore ruby - 2 (topaz) and sapphire - 2 (silver) can't be equal.
Therefore topaz can't be equal to silver.

Hopefully that makes sense
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 AM

It looks like I finally understand those The explanation is the same as last time. Look at these two clues:

6.*The piece with the ruby cost 200 dollars more than the ring with the topaz.
9.*The ring made of silver cost 200 dollars less than the ring made of 14k gold.

First let's put clue #9 the other way around:

"The ring made of 14k gold cost 200 dollars more than the ring made of silver."

Now you can directly compare those two clues. Looking at your grid, you know already that the ring made of 14K gold is the one with the sapphire, so it is NOT the one with the ruby.

So you know that the ruby cost 200 more than the topaz and another than the ruby (i.e. the sapphire) cost 200 more than the silver ring. If you pair topaz and silver, then the ruby and the sapphire would both cost exactly 200 more than the topaz/silver ring, meaning two items in the same category would have the same price which is impossible. Therefore topaz cannot be paired with silver.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Default psyker6

Good on you psyker, keep at it! I did a 4x5 challenge in my record time and the following one I was over an hour! I find some puzzles are more difficult than others even though they are labelled the same difficulty. I have also found that it depends on where you put your attention that matters too. I had a difficult one where I could not go any further and quit it and tried again from the start. Guess what? I had it completed in 20 minutes almost without thinking. The puzzles are great, nevertheless.

Stan
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Default psyker6

Good on you psyker, keep at it! I did a 4x5 challenge in my record time and the following one I was over an hour! I find some puzzles are more difficult than others even though they are labelled the same difficulty. I have also found that it depends on where you put your attention that matters too. I had a difficult one where I could not go any further and quit it and tried again from the start. Guess what? I had it completed in 20 minutes almost without thinking. The puzzles are great, nevertheless.

Stan
Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 PM

Default maybe zenobia43 can explain?

I have now played 819 puzzles. Most of them since Dec last year. I did maybe 30 a few years ago, where incidentally Zenobia43 helped me with some difficult ones. What I find awesome is the record times for a 4x5 challenge type puzzle. I mean I see the record time every time I complete a puzzle. I actually timed myself with a stopwatch on my desktop and it takes me on average 4-5 minutes just to read the clues and put in the appropriate x's and if I'm lucky a few O's too. This is how long it takes me if I am not disturbed by my wife or my grandson coming in and talking to me. Everyone knows here that after a first stage of reading the clues and marking off the appropriate boxes we have to go through again checking what has changed in relation to the first time going through it all. There are usually a few more X's to put in the boxes and if we are lucky a positive. The positive usually gives us a few more X's and so on. I find usually but not always there is a point at which I struggle to find another X somewhere, and when I do the puzzle is usually solved. OK? My question is, how can the TOP SOLVERS do this time and time again so quickly? I mean I have noticed record holders to these 4x5's challenge difficulty in 2 minutes and a few seconds. Have you guys and gals at the top got photographic memories? I HAVE to write on paper the lesser/greater clues and the A or B is either C or D type and the A is either B or C type. That all takes time. The fastest solvers obviously don't have to write anything on paper with a pen if they did they would NEVER do the puzzle in the record times that they do. Anyone care to enlighten some of us in the dark?

Stan
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 AM

Default By no means a record time solver, but ...

Reading speed varies for different people. I read more than twice as fast as my daughter, with much higher comprehension. (For reference, I can read a typical 350 page paperback in about three hours.) This gives me an edge reading clues. I can skim a clue and quickly know if it is saying A is B, A is not B, A is more or less than B, and so on. If I'm not spending time marking boxes, I can read the clues of a 4x5 puzzle in about 30 seconds. If I'm marking boxes, it can take one to two minutes depending on the puzzle.

Beyond that, I find my speed varies a lot from puzzle to puzzle dependent on several things. Puzzles with lots of numbers are harder than words. One with the number of friends on each of thee social media is the worst. Earthquakes with years and minutes and strength is also a challenge. Irregular number gaps also throw me off. One of my least favorite is times that are half an hour apart, then one clue will say 150 minutes. Another is finishing one puzzle with things a dollar apart and the next puzzle they're two minutes apart. The sequence of clues and how many of certain types can make a lot of difference. Some puzzles feel way harder to find the connections than others.