Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Wink Maximum possible points

It would be nice to know the maximum possible points for a given puzzle category. For instance a 4x7 grid with a moderate rating as opposed to a 4x7 grid with a challenging rating, etc.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 PM

The highest amount of points I've seen has been 1100 regardless of difficulty for 4x7.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Wink

I've seen the same thing...
Old 12-30-2013, 12:49 PM

The difficulty setting is useless if you want points - just do easy every time until they modify it.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Does anyone know the maximum points for other sizes?

Also, it seems really strange that the scores don't scale for the difficulty. That seems different than all the other Puzzle Baron sites.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM

I still have a hard time believing some of the times and scores that are shown. I read fast, usually have no errors and don't use hints, my computer isn't slow, I paid for a membership to avoid the ads and I still can't get my scores up there. And as for a paid membership giving me any benefits in my game play, not so much...if you look at the top ranking players, most of them are not members.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM

At first I had trouble believing the scores. Then I began working on 3x4 and 3x5 (easy) puzzles until I got a top score on them. Since they're short, I could do a lot of them quickly.

Eventually, I got to 4x4s (easy), and did probably about a hundred before I could get a high score on one, but I eventually did. Now, every time I start one, I probably have a 10-20% chance of getting the high score on those.

I went to 4x5s (easy), and have now managed to get a high score on 3 of them. Back when I started with 4x4s, I couldn't really do the 4x5s in less than 8 minutes, but I just did one yesterday in 91 seconds.

I still am hopeless on 4x6s and 4x7s, because I just cannot remember enough clues to do them quickly. But the only way to get better is doing a lot of puzzles, and likewise the only way to get on the top of the charts is by doing a lot of puzzles. So, I guess one goal contributes to the other.

I feel the best way to track progress is looking at your score vs. the time you spent on the puzzle. When I first started, this ratio was best for me when doing 3x4 easies. Usually my ratio was around .5 (eg 100 seconds spent, score 50 points), but occasionally it would be over 1. I recorded the very first time my ratio was over 1. I completed a 3x4 in 69 seconds, giving me a score of 73! I tried other sizes of puzzles, but my ratios were always much lower.

Looking at the people at the top of the charts, so players maintain a 3:1 ratio. My goal was to get a 2:1 ratio just once. Well, I did it. Eventually I got a 3:1 ratio. Then just this week, I got a 4.5:1 ratio (4x5 puzzle completed in 91 seconds for 410 points). It just takes a lot of patience.

Since no one answered my previous question about the max points for each size, I've begun compiling them:

3x4: 80 pts
3x5: 180 pts
4x4: 290 pts
4x5: 410 pts
4x6: ??? (something more than 732 -- my max)
4x7: 1100? (based on what TheBonesLady said earlier in this thread)

It looks to me that the points for a top score is the same, regardless of difficulty, just as the others had noticed. So, sticking with easy puzzles tends to give the best scores.

I don't believe that membership helps with getting good scores at all. But if you like the site and want it to continue, then it's definitely worth contributing.

Last edited by uigrad; 02-12-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM

I think the max for a 4x6 is 760.

The max for the 4x7s was 1100 at first, but the highest I've seen for a long time now is 983.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:53 AM

All very helpful stuff, will Puzzle Baron make a grand announcement when they have amended the scoring so that the level of difficulty improving ones point possibilities is in place? As it is, it is pointless playing anything other than "Easy". It will then be interesting for this thread to continue with the highest possible points for all size and complexities. Thank you all.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Yes, this will be announced when it happens - right now it looks like mid-to-late March at the earliest, we'll have enough stats on all of our new puzzles that we can finally implement the new scoring system, which will (among other things) take difficulty into account when scoring.