Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM

IE8
Selected a 4x5 puzzle size and it generated a puzzle
Selected "Start this puzzle >>" and got the "Unknown column 'played_x' in 'fild list'123" error again.
Selected "Play" again, and "Create Puzzle >>" and "Start this puzzle >>" and started solving.
I finished solving and submitted the answers and got the congratulations you got the correct solution "Standby for results" message.
Instead of the results it displayed a page with "Incorrect puzzle identifier".
Went to the "Recent Games" tab and selected "Continue" on the last game played, and got the grid back, but completely starting from scratch since I didn't select to "Save Progress" before submitting my solution.
Must have been a bit rattled since I must have made a goof the second time, didn't get to the solution, so had to start a third time. Eventually got it solved again, but made for a very slow time.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks passel - are you able to tell what the game id# was, via your Recent Games page? I should be able to use that to track down what's happened there.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM

Yay! I was happy to see that you do plan on reinstating the feature that tells you when you've gotten a new record. It was great for brightening up bad days and making me feel better to know that I set a new record.

So far I'm loving the new site and the ability to change difficulties/sizes. I haven't had any glitches yet, but I haven't been able to do more than about a dozen puzzles so far.

I would also love to see a pause button as I, too, play where I may get interrupted (waiting rooms, checkout lines at the grocery store, etc.). It'd be nice to be able to come back and get a more accurate telling of how much time it took me to finish it. I'm sure if anyone's ever looked at my scores, even before the new one, they must've been slightly confused since I was setting records on some puzzles but averaging about 3500 seconds for solving. Having a pause button would make those stats line up a little better. Even if you can't get the full amount of "points" for a puzzle if you hit pause, it'd still be nice to have a more accurate picture of how long it takes to complete the puzzle.

Perhaps with having a limit such as not getting full points for a puzzle if you hit pause would help keep those who would use that feature to cheat down to a minimum.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the new site. Nice job!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks Rainstar! A pause feature is something we've implemented on other sites in the past, only to have it be abused by people who load a puzzle - print it out - pause it - solve it with pencil and paper at their leisure - then unpause and enter the solution in ridiculously quickly to get super-inflated scores. It might work if we were to strip all the points away from each paused puzzle, but I'm concerned that's adding a lot of potential complexity/confusion. Either way, I'll look into it - thanks!

If you're playing on a tablet, you may want to try our logic puzzle app for iOS/Android - which does include an auto-pause feature whenever you close the app.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM

hmm, I thought I did note the puzzle number. Perhaps I wrote it in a comment, or wrote it down in notepad while composing the post then got lost when I reworded things. It was puzzle #14231.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks passel -

The database record for that puzzle looks fine, which is puzzling - I can see exactly where/how the error you saw was triggered, but don't yet know why. I've set up some error logging at that point in the script though so the next time it happens it will email me some debug data which hopefully will shed some light.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Ah, the debug came back with some new data that showed where the problem was. I think it should be sorted now. (At least I'm assuming it is - I'm no longer receiving email reports showing a failure at that node.)

Thanks for helping to track that one down!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Quick update - I've temporarily removed the "slider selectors" from the puzzle initialization page, due to multiple bug reports from Android tablet users. The drop down menus there now work in exactly the same way.... (they just don't look quite as nice!) The drop-downs should also pre-load and remember your most recent preferences, just as before.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Awesome, I will look into the app. I play on my phone but Google Play says it'll work on my phone, so we'll try that.

I can certainly understand the concern for those who pause, print, solve and then un-pause. And I know nothing about programming so I have no idea how complicated it is to add in code to strip the points from a puzzle. I certainly don't want to make it more complicated for the programmers! But if it's do-able, it'd be really appreciated. I was doing one at work on my break yesterday afternoon, saved it, and then promptly forgot when I got home so when I remembered this morning, I ended up with a time of almost 59,000 seconds when reality the actual puzzle probably took me about 150-200 seconds. So yeah, pausing would've been helpful with that, but like I said, I don't want to make it more complicated so I totally understand if it just won't work.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up I didn't think anything could improve this site, but you did it!

I totally love the new look for the puzzles! This is so wonderful - I love the new way both the horizontal and vertical titles are highlighted and the little story that goes with the puzzles. You did a marvelous job with this project. Bravo!