Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Moeblank Send a message via Yahoo to Moeblank
Wink I enjoy just playing.

I just like to play while watching tv and often go over a half hour because I'm more into the show. Also I like filling in all the X's. I guess it's my touch of OCD that doesn't let me put in just Dots and leave the rest blank unless I'm tired or made a mistake and have to go back and start over. Filling in the puzzle vertically doesn't finish the game, only completing the dots horizontally. Sometimes that's annoying. I don't always have to fill in the 'extra' common boxes.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Default Times under 100 seconds

I just posted a monthly score of under 100 seconds for the first time. I did not do all the puzzles this month, however. I did any 4x4 which came up, and also any 5x5 with an 'average solve time' of under 4 minutes 25 seconds. My normal time for a puzzle in that category is around 75 seconds, and the inevitable mistakes and brain cramps create a certain variability. As the end of the month approached, it was exhilaratingly stressful, because I knew that a poor score would throw the average up far more than a good score would bring it down.

In this subset of puzzles my insight is: if the clues were in the most efficient order one could write the solution down very quickly. So I go hunting for clues which address certain areas of the puzzle. In the 5x5 puzzles with low average times, focusing on the clues which give information about the top left hand category seems to be the fastest.

There are certain 4x4 puzzles that I have seen the path efficiently - my best time is 32 seconds.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:04 PM

What is the cutoff time for 'realistic' records that are kept? I've just joined and for most of the puzzles I complete it says I have a new record. Is this just because people with good times have their records ignored?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM

The "realistic" cutoff is one of 99/100/101. I read it a while ago, but I can't quite remember. I've seen a record of 101 while playing, I can't remember anything less.

If I were to write a program to solve these puzzles, I'd expect it to run in a couple seconds, tops. I did write a program to solve sudokus once. Puzzles that I could manually solve in 200-300 seconds took less than a second in processing time. I don't think I implemented the screen-scraping/parsing, I just manually input a couple puzzles and ran the thing to see how it did. Now, on that site, I am sure people were automating because it showed solve times on a bell curve, and there were always some under 5 seconds.

The "realistic" limits here are too high, but I'm betting the fast solvers see "new record" more often than we really achieve it, not that it gets saved as such. I solve the 4x4s in under 100 seconds about half the time now, with my best times being in the 60s. I'm usually closer to 200 seconds for the 5x5s, but I've done a few of them in under 100 seconds as well. Of course, whatever the limit that is set, it is easy for a computer program to put a "delay until time is just over this boundary" statement in, if the goal is to set records.