Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 AM

Default Vague Clues?

I've had a few puzzles where the meanings of some of the clues were left open to interpretation, like "A is farther down the line than B." I assume that "farther down" means "closer to the back" but I could see how if you were at the back of the line looking forward you might say that someone in front of you is farther down the line than you are, much like when you are driving you say that someone in front of you is farther down the road.

Am I making any sense or am I the only person who thinks this clue is a little too vague?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:13 PM

You're reading too much into the clue. You're first interpretation is correct - that "A is further down the line than B," that A is closer to the back of the line than B. Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Thanks flutefish, I knew my interpretation was correct, I had already solved that puzzle when I posted this. I was just posting this because it was the kind of clue that I thought could be interpreted differently, and there should be only one way to interpret a clue.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:25 PM

I just posted in the question forum about whether they are making sure there are no clues in the little story that usually proceeds the puzzles. Sometimes there is a little something there that will help. If nothing else, it gives you the context for the puzzle.