View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM

I seem to be improving very slowly. I think it has something to do with age. I think I have done about 450 puzzles in total. I visited this site over a year ago after doing maybe 50 puzzles. I returned here in December last and have done maybe 400 more. I notice in the top 100 players quite a few have done less puzzles than I have. I am guessing, but I think those players are young. I have played competitive chess for many years and I know for a fact that after the age of 40 or thereabouts there is not much improvement. I mean to say that in other sports footballers for example certainly DO NOT improve their skills after 30 years old. In chess for example the most rapid learners are children up to age 17 ish. I used to coach a boy of 5 years until he was 14. When he was 13 I could beat him 50 out of 50 games. Six months later he got a draw and I won 49. Six months later he won 36 and I 14. Six months later he won all 50. In the chess olympiad a few years ago he beat (check mated) DeFirmian the American Champion Grandmaster. Google Karadeniz v De Firmian and play the game.
The only elder person I can see in the top 10 is reilysnana who must be around at least 40 and most probably with a very high IQ. I think there is little hope I could make it to the top 100.

Stan